Northwest Registered Agent vs LegalZoom (LLC Service Comparison)
Do you need to form an LLC, but you’re frustrated with the complexities and general hassle of the DIY route?
With this Northwest Registered Agent vs LegalZoom comparison, you’ll find the information you need conveniently laid out in a way that should help you make your decision. Which LLC company is the right choice to form your business?
Northwest Registered Agent and LegalZoom are two of the leading companies in the online LLC service industry, and they’re both quite capable of forming your new business. However, there are some aspects of Northwest’s service that make them our preferred pick for the majority of our readers.
First and foremost, Northwest Registered Agent’s $79 price point is much more affordable than the $149 starting price for LegalZoom’s LLC services. Furthermore, Northwest includes a full year of their premium registered agent service at no extra charge, which will cost you $159 to add onto a LegalZoom package.
Would you like to take a closer look at these two services before making up your mind? Let’s discuss some of their defining characteristics to figure out which one is the best option for you.
6 Things They Have In Common
1) Affordable: Northwest Registered Agent and LegalZoom both fill the role of companies that can help with your LLC formation, without costing you an arm and a leg like hiring a business attorney to draft and file your formation documents.
2) Customer Support: This is one of the biggest reasons these services can be a major benefit to you. Instead of going it alone when you have questions, you can contact their customer service department and get answers from knowledgeable professionals.
3) Experience: With thousands upon thousands of satisfied customers, LegalZoom and Northwest Registered Agent have the experience necessary to earn your trust.
4) Additional Services: After your LLC formation, these companies still have a lot to offer. Their comprehensive business services can provide solutions to all sorts of ongoing compliance requirements, including registered agent service and much more.
5) Free Tools: Their websites have a number of free tools to help you run your business. Both companies provide a wealth of information on issues that confront many business owners, like asset protection, licensing and permits, etc.
6) Efficiency: Northwest Registered Agent and LegalZoom both offer expediting services that can dramatically speed up your formation process ― often from weeks or even months, down to mere days. This costs extra, of course, but it can be worth it if you’re in a hurry.
Side by Side Comparisons
Northwest is much more affordable than LegalZoom. Their base package costs just $79 compared to LegalZoom’s $149 entry-level price point. (See Details)
These companies offer similar LLC service packages, with one notable difference being Northwest Registered Agent including a full year of registered agent service. LegalZoom does not include registered agent with any of their LLC packages ― not even their premium packages.
However, one feature that LegalZoom includes and Northwest doesn’t is a banking resolution with any LLC service, which helps you open business checking or savings accounts.
Northwest Registered Agent is a mid-sized company, and they’ve served several thousand customers since they formed in 1998. LegalZoom is a massive operation, with over 2 million businesses served since 1999. They both have plenty of experience to get the job done right, it just depends what type of company you prefer to do business with.
Northwest Registered Agent offers excellent support with their Corporate Guide system. Each customer is assigned a highly trained Corporate Guide who helps walk you through every step of the process, and you have this person’s direct contact info. They provide a level of support which few companies can match.
As for LegalZoom, they have their own advantage in the form of extended support hours. They take calls and emails from 8am to 10pm ET every weekday, and they’re even open on weekends from 10am to 7pm ET. However, their support agents are not nearly as knowledgeable as Northwest’s are.
The main difference here is that Northwest Registered Agent’s turnarounds vary by state, while LegalZoom’s depend on what level of service you purchase: Economy ($149) takes 30 days, Standard ($329) takes 15 days, and Express Gold ($349) takes 7-10 days.
Both companies are pretty fast with their turnaround times, so this is largely a toss-up — just keep in mind that because of the way they structure their processing times, Northwest Registered Agent is faster in some states, while LegalZoom is quicker in others.
Both services offer online tracking where you can view real-time order status updates. It’s a convenient way to keep informed of which step your formation is in. In our opinion, these companies are equals in this area.
Registered Agent Service
Northwest Registered Agent includes a year of registered agent with any LLC formation, and it’s $125 per year after that. LegalZoom does not include registered agent in any formation package, and they charge $159 annually to add it on. (What is a Registered Agent?)
Northwest Registered Agent gets great review scores, but they don’t have very many reviews ― just a few dozen scattered across the web. On the other hand, LegalZoom has over 1,500 reviews to read through, but quite mixed ratings with positive and critical feedback in roughly equal measure.
Ease of Use
There’s not a huge difference, so we’ll just mention that LegalZoom’s website is a bit more user-friendly than Northwest Registered Agent. The only downside to LegalZoom’s website is that they sometimes overload you with attempted up-sells.
The LLC Formation Service for You?
Even though they are both good LLC formation services, there are plenty of differences between Northwest Registered Agent and LegalZoom. That said, you may prefer one over the other for different reasons than we do.
With that in mind, here are a couple scenarios that can help you make your choice.
Choose Northwest Registered Agent if You Are:
Are you are looking for an affordable and well-rounded LLC formation service that includes registered agent? Northwest Registered Agent is the right choice for you.
Choose LegalZoom if You Are:
Do you prefer using the service that is far more well-known, with a high volume of customers and lots of brand recognition? If so, choose LegalZoom.