Northwest Registered Agent vs LegalZoom (Which is Better?)
Do you need to form an LLC but you’re frustrated with the complexities and general hassle of the DIY route? There are many providers like Northwest Registered Agent and LegalZoom that offer LLC service, but figuring out which one is the best option for your company can be tricky.
With this Northwest Registered Agent vs LegalZoom comparison, you’ll find the information you need conveniently laid out in a way that should help you make your decision.
7 Things They Have In Common
- Northwest Registered Agent and LegalZoom both fill the role of companies who can help with your LLC formation, without costing you an arm and a leg like hiring a business attorney to draft and file your formation documents.
- Customer support is one of the biggest reasons these services can be a major benefit to you. Instead of going it alone when you have questions, you can contact their customer service department and get answers from knowledgeable professionals.
- LegalZoom and Northwest Registered Agent both offer custom LLC operating agreements with your formation. This document is a necessity for all businesses as it defines your LLC structure, but many providers don’t include them.
- These companies take your security seriously, with different approaches that are both highly effective in accomplishing the same goal. Northwest Registered Agent runs their own servers and writes their own code to keep your data safe. LegalZoom uses Norton Web Security to protect their site, which blocks malware and encrypts data.
- With thousands upon thousands of satisfied customers, LegalZoom and Northwest Registered Agent have the experience necessary to earn your trust.
- After your formation, these companies still have a lot to offer. Their comprehensive business services can provide solutions to all sorts of ongoing compliance requirements, from registered agent to annual reports and more.
- Their websites have a number of free tools to help you run your business. Both companies provide a wealth of information on issues that confront many business owners, like asset protection, licensing and permits, etc.
Side by Side Comparisons
Northwest Registered Agent charges $225 plus state fee for LLC formation service. LegalZoom can save you some money with their $149 base rate.
These companies offer nearly identical service packages, with one notable difference being Northwest Registered Agent including a full year of registered agent service. With LegalZoom, you’ll need to add registered agent for $159 because it isn’t included in any service package.
Northwest Registered Agent is a mid-sized company, and they’ve served several thousand customers since they formed in 1998. LegalZoom is a massive operation, with about 2 million businesses served since 1999. They both have plenty of experience, it just depends what type of company you prefer to do business with.
Northwest Registered Agent offers excellent support with their Corporate Guide system. Every employee who answers the phone has expert training, and it shows as they provide a level of support which few companies can match.
As for LegalZoom, they have their own advantage in the form of extended support hours. They take calls and emails from 8am to 10pm ET every weekday, and they’re even open on weekends from 10am to 7pm ET.
The main difference here is that Northwest Registered Agent’s turnarounds vary by state, while LegalZoom’s depend on what level of service you purchase. Both companies are pretty fast with their turnaround times, so this is largely a toss-up — just keep in mind that Northwest Registered Agent is faster in some states, while LegalZoom is quicker in others.
Northwest Registered Agent offers online tools where you can view real-time order status updates. LegalZoom uses a basic order confirmation system.
Registered Agent Service
Northwest Registered Agent includes a year of registered agent with any LLC formation, and it’s $125 per year after that. LegalZoom does not include registered agent in any formation package, and they charge $159 annually to add it on. (What is a Registered Agent?)
Northwest Registered Agent gets great average review scores, but they don’t have very many reviews — just a couple dozen across the web. On the other hand, LegalZoom has thousands of reviews to read through, but quite mixed ratings with positive and critical feedback in roughly equal measure.
Ease of Use
There’s not a huge difference here, so I’ll just mention that LegalZoom’s website is a bit more user-friendly than Northwest Registered Agent, but again it’s a minor issue.
Even though they both offer LLC formation service, there are plenty of differences between Northwest Registered Agent and LegalZoom. Furthermore, some entrepreneurs will prefer one over the other for different reasons than I do.
With that in mind, here’s a couple scenarios that can help you make your choice. Whichever service you choose, we wish nothing but the best for your business.
Choose Northwest Registered Agent if You Are:
Are you more comfortable using a smaller company with consistent customer feedback? Northwest Registered Agent is a great option to form your LLC.
Choose LegalZoom if You Are:
Some people prefer conducting business with large companies that have extensive experience. If that’s you, you might want to go with LegalZoom.