Are you looking to form an LLC, but you’re not sure which of the many service providers can best assist you?
MyCompanyWorks is one of the top LLC services, but there isn’t any one provider that’s going to be the best choice for every single LLC formation.
This MyCompanyWorks LLC service alternatives guide highlights some of their top rivals. Is one of them a better choice to help form your LLC? Let’s find out!
ZenBusiness opened their doors in 2015, and they have a unique approach to business formation services thanks to their use of automation to speed up and simplify several parts of the process.
Let’s see how they stack up when compared to MyCompanyWorks:
- ZenBusiness is one of the most affordable LLC services online. For just $39 (plus state fee), they will form your business and provide a full year of registered agent service. That off the bat will save you $40 as opposed to starting an LLC with MyCompanyWorks.
- If you like seeing positive customer reviews, you’ll love ZenBusiness. They have well over 1,000 reviews available online, and it’s difficult to find more than just a small handful of negative reviews.
- We really appreciate ZenBusiness’ commitment to giving back. As a public benefit corporation, ZenBusiness partners with Kiva.org to provide financial lending services to poverty-stricken individuals, and they also loan money to women-owned and minority-owned businesses.
The only negative with ZenBusiness is that their turnaround times can be confusing. They list estimated processing speeds for each level of service on their website (1-2 weeks for the $39 Starter plan, 4-6 business days for the $149 Pro plan, 1-3 business days for the $249 Premium plan), but these estimates also vary from state to state.
Want to learn more about ZenBusiness? Read our review.
With 250,000+ businesses served since they opened in 2004, IncFile is one of the industry leaders. They’re a popular choice for a reason, as their feature-packed LLC services are available at appealing price points. But how do they stack up next to MyCompanyWorks?
- It’s nearly impossible to beat IncFile’s starting price point for LLC service. Their $0 package is the most affordable LLC service available online, and it’s certainly cheaper than MyCompanyWorks’ $79 price tag.
- With IncFile, you’ll receive a full year of registered agent service when you purchase any of their LLC formation packages. As for MyCompanyWorks, they only include registered agent with their most expensive $279 Complete package.
- If you’re the type of discerning customer who needs to read reviews before making a purchase, IncFile has thousands of online customer reviews, and nearly all of them are positive in nature. They’re quite comparable to MyCompanyWorks in this regard.
Our only reservation with IncFile is the fact that they can sometimes take a long time to respond to your calls/messages, on occasion exceeding 24 hours. By contrast, MyCompanyWorks responds to the vast majority of customer support messages within 20 minutes.
Want to see our full IncFile LLC Service review? Read it here.
Northwest Registered Agent was founded in 1998, and in the two-plus decades since, they’ve served thousands of satisfied customers. What does this midsize LLC formation service provider have to offer, and do they compare favorably to MyCompanyWorks?
- With their base rate of $225, Northwest Registered Agent’s price point for LLC service is much higher than MyCompanyWorks’ $79 package.
- Like IncFile ― and unlike MyCompanyWorks ― Northwest Registered Agent also includes a year of registered agent service with your LLC formation service. In addition, Northwest is the only major service provider that locally scans each and every document they receive as your registered agent. Most competitors will only scan official government documents.
- Does premium and highly personalized customer support appeal to you? If so, you should definitely give Northwest Registered Agent a look.
Finally, Northwest receives strong customer feedback. While they only have a few dozen reviews, as opposed to the thousands of reviews available for IncFile and MyCompanyWorks, Northwest Registered Agent does share those companies’ high average rating scores.
Want to learn more about Northwest Registered Agent? Read our review.
LegalZoom is easily the most experienced of all these companies. They’ve served about 4 million customers, and formed over 1 million LLCs, since they opened back in 1999. They are one of the most popular LLC service providers, with unrivaled brand power.
- LegalZoom isn’t exactly a bargain, with LLC service starting at $99 plus state fee. This is the highest price point in this guide.
- In addition to having high prices, LegalZoom’s base formation package is short on features. They don’t include registered agent service with any of their LLC formation service packages, and even though they do provide a banking resolution to help you open business checking and savings accounts, it’s not a valuable enough feature to offset the lack of registered agent service.
- One big positive with LegalZoom is their extended customer support hours. They’re available from 8am to 10pm ET Monday through Friday, and they also have weekend service hours from 10am to 7pm ET. No competitor can match these hours of operation. By comparison, MyCompanyWorks is available from 11:30am to 7:30pm ET on weekdays.
Considering that their customer feedback is mixed fairly equally between positive and negative reviews, the main reason to purchase LLC service from LegalZoom is if you prefer using major companies that have wide corporate reach.
However, it’s worth noting that our LegalZoom LLC alternative list is one of the most researched reviews that we have.
Want to learn more about LegalZoom? Read our review.
The Best MyCompanyWorks Alternative?
These four companies are all capable of providing quality LLC formation service online.
They each have their advantages over the others as well: ZenBusiness has the best price to feature value, IncFile is a free LLC service, LegalZoom is the “big name,” MyCompanyWorks has lightning-fast support, and Northwest Registered Agent has the personal touch.
One major common thread between these providers is that they can all save you a considerable sum over hiring an attorney. If you have a traditional law firm draft and file your formation documents, you’ll pay hundreds more than you would with any of these services.
If we had to choose one favorite alternative to MyCompanyWorks, it would be either ZenBusiness or IncFile.
With either of these good LLC formation websites, you get some of the best prices available on LLC service, and they also have smartly bundled feature sets in their formation packages.
Frequently Asked Questions
Got MyCompanyWorks questions? We’ve got answers.
Do Any of These Services Handle Requirements Like Publication?
Unfortunately, none of these companies provide publication service. We were surprised by this, especially since there are quite a few companies in this industry (like ZenBusiness) that do offer to handle your publication requirement.
That said, MyCompanyWorks and Northwest Registered Agent both provide a set of detailed instructions to help you complete your own publication step, even though they won’t handle it on your behalf.
Which Service Has the Fewest Upsells?
MyCompanyWorks, IncFile, and Northwest all keep the upsells to an absolute minimum, which stands in stark contrast to LegalZoom.
In short, LegalZoom is the reason we added this question to our FAQ sections, because they attempt an outrageous $1,080 worth of upsells as you navigate their LLC formation service order form.
It’s especially annoying considering that these upsells take place before you reach their package selection screen, meaning that they’re offering you add-ons before you even decide which package you’re adding onto.
Do These Services Share My Information With Third Parties?
While Northwest steers clear of third-party info-sharing partnerships, MyCompanyWorks, LegalZoom and IncFile embrace them.
MyCompanyWorks has “special offers” for a bank account with Bank of America, along with a domain name and hosting package from InMotion Hosting. As for IncFile, they also share your personal information with Bank of America, and they add offers for a business tax consultation and a web-builder package as well.
Are Any of These Services Faster than the Others?
Because they all base their filing times on the ability of each state to process LLC formations, MyCompanyWorks, IncFile, and Northwest all have similar turnarounds.
However, we have noticed that MyCompanyWorks tends to be just a bit faster in several states. It’s usually just a difference of a couple days, but it’s still a noteworthy advantage.
LegalZoom/ZenBusiness have a different method for turnarounds, as they instead have turnaround times based on which formation package you purchase.
Which Service Has the Best Refund Policy?
LegalZoom has one of the best refund policies in this industry. They pledge to refund your money if you request a refund within 60 days of your initial purchase, and they don’t even charge a processing fee or cancellation fee.
All of the other companies in this guide have much more strict refund policies that either have more restrictive time limits, high fees, or both.
Can I Just Form an LLC on My Own, Without a Service?
The DIY option is always available to you, and it’s not uncommon at all for entrepreneurs to form their own LLCs without any assistance.
However, the issue with the DIY route is that every state has its own regulations for LLC formations, so it can be a hassle to learn your formation state’s requirements.
Furthermore, the DIY option doesn’t provide the same peace of mind that we get from hiring an online professional service like the ones we’ve discussed in this guide.