Swyft Filings vs LegalZoom (Who Wins?)
Do you need to form an LLC, but you’re not comfortable enough with compliance requirements to go the DIY route?
This Swyft Filings vs LegalZoom comparison will dive into the commonalities and differences between these two providers, helping decide which is better to start your LLC.
* Quick Note: If you would like to compare the top LLC services, we reviewed and ranked the best based on overall value-price-reliability. See Comparison.
5 Things They Have In Common
- Affordable: Swyft Filings and LegalZoom can both save you lots of money over hiring a lawyer to form your LLC, while also not leaving you alone to figure it out on your own.
- Free Customer Support: Along those same lines, these companies have extensive customer support networks. If you have questions or concerns, they’re just a phone call or email away, which means you don’t have to spend hours of your valuable time trying to find the answers.
- Experienced: They’re both experienced companies, and they serve a large volume of customers every year. These are legitimate operations with lots of existing clients, and they’re wholly capable of forming your LLC.
- Satisfaction Guarantees: Swyft Filings and LegalZoom both have 100% satisfaction guarantees, which is a welcome safety net. If you’re unhappy for any reason, you can simply request a refund and they’ll provide it, no questions asked.
- Extra Services: If you need services beyond formation, they can help. Both offer many features from registered agent to federal tax ID numbers and much more. Think of them as one-stop shops for business services.
Side by Side Comparisons
With a base rate of $49, Swyft Filings is far cheaper than LegalZoom’s starting price of $149. (See Details)
For the most part, their base packages have similar features. Swyft Filings includes a 30-minute business tax consultation, while LegalZoom throws in a custom operating agreement. Unfortunately, neither of them include registered agent at any level of service.
LegalZoom serves a huge volume of customers, with nearly 4 million customers served — about half of them business clients — since opening in 1999. Swyft Filings can’t touch that level of experience, but they’ve already served thousands of customers since they opened in 2012.
Swyft Filings has an excellent service department, and their customers frequently mention that fact in their reviews. LegalZoom is a bit more hit or miss with their support, which is no big surprise seeing as they are such a large operation. One thing most clients seem to appreciate about LegalZoom is their extended support hours. They take calls from 8am to 10pm ET on weekdays, and they’re even open from 10am to 7pm ET on weekends.
One difference between Swyft Filings and LegalZoom is the way they calculate their turnarounds. With Swyft Filings it varies based on your state of formation, whereas with LegalZoom they base their estimates on what level of service you purchase from them.
As soon as you place your order, Swyft Filings creates an account for you on their website where you can check your status. LegalZoom sends you an order confirmation email, but they don’t have an extensive order tracking system.
Registered Agent Service
Swyft Filings charges $149 annually for registered agent, while LegalZoom sets their price at $159 per year. Neither of them include registered agent service with your LLC formation. (What is a Registered Agent?)
Swyft Filings gets excellent customer feedback, with thousands of online reviews and high average scores. Swyft Filings customers frequently praise the efficiency of their services, and also the quality of their customer service department.
LegalZoom has a similar volume of reviews, but not the same quality. Their ratings are much more hit or miss in nature. While they do have plenty of happy customers who are pleased with their services, they also have a number of clients who bring up issues like billing confusion or inconsistent customer service.
Ease of Use
Both of these companies can make your life as an entrepreneur much easier. Their services are easy to use and their websites are a breeze to navigate.
Which Should You Use?
With Swyft Filings and LegalZoom, we have two companies that are both highly capable of helping you form an LLC. If you’re still undecided, I’ll close by going over a couple scenarios where you may be more likely to use one or the other for LLC service.
Choose Swyft Filings if You Are:
If saving money is a priority, Swyft Filings is certainly less expensive than LegalZoom. In addition, if you value positive customer feedback and a reliable, friendly service department, they’re an excellent choice.
Choose LegalZoom if You Are:
LegalZoom has far more brand power than Swyft Filings, and they are a more popular LLC formation service when it comes to customer volume. If these are important factors to you, LegalZoom is a strong option.