Rocket Lawyer vs LegalZoom (Which is Better?)
Are you forming an LLC but you’re not comfortable going it alone? That’s why companies like Rocket Lawyer and LegalZoom exist, to help you on your formation journey. But how do you know which one’s right for you?
This Rocket Lawyer vs LegalZoom comparison will answer that question by giving you the information necessary to make an informed decision.
* Quick Note: If you would like to compare the top LLC services, we reviewed and ranked the best based on overall value-price-reliability. See Comparison.
7 Things They Have In Common
- LegalZoom and Rocket Lawyer both fill that gap between the DIY option and hiring a lawyer. You won’t be on your own, and you’ll still save hundreds over hiring a business lawyer.
- Speaking of not going it alone, one of the biggest benefits of hiring an LLC formation service is that they have customer service reps who are available to help solve your problems. If you have questions or concerns, they’re just a phone call or email away.
- Both Rocket Lawyer and LegalZoom have customers that number in the millions. They both have a ton of experience and impressive customer volume.
- After your formation is complete, these companies still have a lot to offer entrepreneurs. From registered agent to tax ID numbers, from licensing to ongoing compliance, Rocket Lawyer and LegalZoom can provide many services your company might need.
- Online security is important to LegalZoom and Rocket Lawyer, as both use Norton Web Security to protect their websites from malware and to encrypt your private data.
- If you require additional assistance, or just want to learn more about the business world, both of their websites include a wealth of information on all sorts of issues that might affect your company down the road.
- Want to get an idea what the customer experience is like with Rocket Lawyer or LegalZoom? Both companies have many online reviews to read, which paint a clear picture of what customers do or don’t like about them.
Side by Side Comparisons
With their $99.95 price point for LLC service, Rocket Lawyer is about $20 more expensive than LegalZoom’s $79 base rate. (See Details)
The two services provide nearly identical features, with the only significant difference being LegalZoom for the most part gives you added features through more premium packages. While Rocket Lawyer is exclusively a la carte.
LegalZoom has served nearly 4 million customers since 1999, with about half of those being business clients. While that’s already quite impressive, Rocket Lawyer is on another level, with about 7 million businesses served since 2008.
Rocket Lawyer and LegalZoom are both such large companies that it’s no surprise to hear that their customer service can be a bit hit or miss. With as wide-reaching as these support networks are, it’s understandable that some unsatisfied customers slip through the cracks.
LegalZoom does have an advantage when it comes to hours of availability, as they’re open weekdays from 8am to 10pm ET and weekends from 10am to 7pm ET. Rocket Lawyer’s reps are available 9am to 9pm ET on weekdays.
Rocket Lawyer is faster in some states, LegalZoom in others. This is due to the fact that Rocket Lawyer’s estimates vary by state, whereas LegalZoom bases their turnarounds on the level of service you purchase. In general, it’s a toss-up.
Registered Agent Service
Neither LegalZoom nor Rocket Lawyer includes registered agent with LLC service. As an add-on, LegalZoom charges $159 per year and Rocket Lawyer has an annual fee of $149.95. (What is a Registered Agent?)
Customer feedback isn’t a big strength of Rocket Lawyer or LegalZoom. There are plenty of reviews out there for both services, but they’re mixed fairly equally between positive and negative.
Ease of Use
Both LegalZoom and Rocket Lawyer shine in this area, as it couldn’t be much simpler to use either service. Furthermore, their websites are both streamlined with intuitive user interfaces.
Rocket Lawyer and LegalZoom are two of the top LLC formation services online, and they have a bunch of features in common. Of course, there are also quite a few differences that may sway your opinion one way or the other.
Along those lines, let’s finish by reviewing some scenarios that might lead you toward Rocket Lawyer or LegalZoom.
Choose LegalZoom if You Are:
With their lower prices and extended service hours, LegalZoom is a top pick for entrepreneurs who can’t take the time out of the business day to get their questions answered.
Choose Rocket Lawyer if You Are:
If you require advanced features, Rocket Lawyer has an extensive suite of legal services that may benefit your company.