CorpNet vs LegalZoom (Who Wins For You?)
Are you in the process of forming an LLC but you don’t want to go the full DIY route? There are plenty of LLC services out there like CorpNet and LegalZoom which can assist you with your formation, but it can be tough to figure out which company is the best choice for you.
In this CorpNet vs LegalZoom comparison, you’ll find the info you need to make the right pick. Read on to find out which company should handle your LLC formation.
* Quick Note: If you would like to compare the top LLC services, we reviewed and ranked the best based on overall value-price-reliability. See Comparison.
7 Things They Have In Common
- With either CorpNet or LegalZoom, you’re getting a service that bridges the gap between hiring an attorney and going it alone. They both save hundreds of dollars over hiring a lawyer, and you won’t be left to handle your formation by yourself.
- Customer support is one of the main reasons people hire these companies, as you can give them a call or send them an email any time you have a question. This saves lots of time because you won’t have to go digging for answers yourself.
- Experience is a major selling point for CorpNet and LegalZoom, as they’ve both served thousands of customers over the years.
- Both of these companies offer far more than just LLC formation service. If you need registered agent, federal tax ID numbers or many other business services, LegalZoom and CorpNet can help your business reach the next level.
- There’s no need for concern about online security. LegalZoom and CorpNet both use Norton products to protect their websites from malware and to encrypt data transfers. Your private info will remain private.
- If you need more information about formation or any of a number of other business issues, CorpNet and LegalZoom have extensive online learning centers filled with valuable information. Whether you require info about business types, licensing issues or taxation, they have a wealth of info to help you out.
- Do you like to get a feel for a company’s customer experience before using their services yourself? LegalZoom and CorpNet have thousands of customer reviews all across the web, making it easy to get an idea of how your experience will go.
Side by Side Comparisons
With rates for LLC formation service starting at $108, CorpNet is a little more expensive than LegalZoom, which charges $79 for their base package.
LegalZoom and CorpNet have quite similar basic LLC formation packages. There are some small differences, like CorpNet including a 60 day trial of registered agent, but nothing major. At the higher levels of service, CorpNet adds a full year of registered agent, which LegalZoom doesn’t include in any formation package, so obviously that’s a huge advantage for CorpNet.
CorpNet’s ownership group got their start in 1997, with over 100,000 businesses served since then. On the other hand, LegalZoom has served about 2 million business customers, and 4 million total clients, since 1999.
CorpNet gets lots of praise for their customer service, and rightfully so. Their reps are helpful, knowledgeable and friendly, and they’re easy to get ahold of as well.
LegalZoom is such a large company that their service department is somewhat hit or miss. It’s not surprising that a few customers slip through the cracks here and there, but it is still disappointing. On the positive side, LegalZoom has extended support hours that run from 8am to 10pm ET weekdays and 10am to 7pm ET weekends.
CorpNet’s turnarounds are based on requirements from your state of formation, whereas LegalZoom’s processing times depend on which level of LLC service package you purchase. In short, CorpNet is faster in some states, whereas LegalZoom is quicker in others. In general, it’s pretty much a toss up.
Both LLC service providers have an advanced order tracking system that allows you to track your formation’s progress in real time. They also send you alerts when your documents are filed.
Registered Agent Service
CorpNet charges $149 for registered agent, compared to $159 for LegalZoom. Keep in mind that CorpNet’s more advanced formation packages do include a full year of registered agent, whereas LegalZoom never includes it in any formation bundle. (What is a Registered Agent?)
When it comes to feedback, CorpNet is the clear winner. They have hundreds of overwhelmingly positive reviews online, with their customers frequently praising the assistance they receive from their support reps. On the other hand, while LegalZoom also has lots of reviews, they’re not as positive. LegalZoom’s customer feedback is split relatively evenly between positive and negative ratings.
Ease of Use
With both of these companies, you’ll receive LLC services that are remarkably easy to use. They also both have user-friendly websites with plenty of information. Neither side has much of an advantage over the other in this area.
CorpNet and LegalZoom are both entirely capable of handling your LLC formation service, and as you can see there’s not a whole lot differentiating the two companies. To get a better grasp on which one is best for you, let’s review some scenarios where each of them has an advantage.
When to Choose CorpNet:
Do you want a service with superior customer service and better overall value? Additionally, their customer feedback is about as good as it gets, with glowing reviews all over the web. If these factors are important to you, give CorpNet a look.
When to Choose LegalZoom:
Do you place lots of importance on brand power and corporate reach? LegalZoom has fairly substantial advantages over CorpNet in those areas, so if this applies to you, they are your best option.