Do you own a business operating in the state of Vermont? If so, you may need to acquire licenses and permits to ensure that your company operates in a compliant fashion.

But how do you determine which permits and licenses you need (if any), and where do you acquire them? In this guide to Vermont business licenses and permits, we’ll answer all the tough questions about this process.

Are There Federal Licenses That My Business Needs?

First off, let’s discuss the matter of federal licenses and permits. There are many business activities that are regulated by various federal agencies, from agriculture to transportation and logistics. We recommend taking a look at the U.S. Small Business Administration’s guide to federal licenses and permits to make sure you’ve got your bases covered.

In addition, most businesses should acquire a federal tax ID number, also known as an EIN (employer identification number). This is essentially a social security number for your business, and it enables you to hire employees, pay business taxes, open business bank accounts, and more. You can acquire an EIN from the IRS for free.

What State-Level Licenses and Permits Apply in Vermont?

The state of Vermont does not have a general business license that applies statewide to every business entity, as some states do. However, depending on the nature of your business, there could be several licenses and/or permits that you may be required to obtain.

To determine which permits you need to operate a compliant business, we recommend that you pay a visit to the Vermont Office of Professional Regulation. On this website, you’ll find a wide variety of resources, including events for different professions, a list of regulated professions, and online application services.

Occupational Licenses and Permits

The occupational licenses and permits required by the state of Vermont vary widely, from midwives to naturopathic physicians and many points in between. Depending on the exact nature of your business, you might need more than one of these permits. You can browse the list of regulated professions here.

Environmental Licenses and Permits

Finally, Vermont also has some environmental permits that apply to certain businesses. These are regulated by the Department of Environmental Conservation. On their website, you can find information sheets for permit divisions such as watershed management, facilities engineering, and more. You can also take advantage of a permit specialist in your area to make the process easier.

Which Tax Registrations are Required for Vermont Businesses?

In addition to occupational licenses and permits, there are a number of state-level tax registrations, which are based on the industry you operate in and which business structure your company uses.

Every C Corporation in Vermont must file a Corporate Income Tax Return each year, which collects the state’s corporate income tax. Other business entities, also called pass-through entities, have a different tax: the business income tax.

There are also many industry-specific tax registrations in the state of Vermont, including meals and rooms taxes, alcoholic beverage taxes, and more. Thankfully, the Department of Taxes offers Industry Guidance for several industries that often encounter unique tax situations. You can find guidance for those industries and other tax resources here.

Are There Local Licenses, Permits, or Registrations in Vermont?

The answer to this question obviously depends on where in Vermont you’re operating your business, but there are indeed quite a few licenses, permits, and tax registrations required by Vermont localities.

Unfortunately, Vermont does not provide a comprehensive list of city-level or county-level licenses or even which localities require them. As a result, you’ll have to do some of the legwork yourself. You should check the website of both your county and city (or counties and cities if you operate in several locations) to learn what your region requires.

For example, WindhamBennington, and Burlington are all localities which require different licenses, from general business licenses to industry-specific permits. Obviously, these are not the only areas that do require licenses. You’ll need to do your research to make sure.

If we were to break down the exact rules and regulations regarding permitting in every locality in the state of Vermont, this article would become excessively lengthy. With that in mind, we’ll simply say that every business owner should check with their local government to determine whether there are licenses, permits, or tax registrations required to operate in compliant fashion.

Can I Hire Someone to Research Licenses and Permits for My Business?

If this process sounds like a bit of a hassle, that’s because it certainly can be. If you would rather hire a reputable business services provider to handle this for you, that is always an option.

ZenBusiness can research the necessary licenses and permits for your company on the federal, state, county, and municipal levels. We’ll then send you the applications you need to acquire these permits and licenses, meaning all you need to do is fill them out and mail them in. Plus, if you need help with company formation, we can help with that filing as well.


There is no one-size-fits-all answer for the question of which licenses and permits your business might require to operate in the state of Vermont. Instead, it’s important that you know how to access the resources to determine which permits your company needs to operate in a compliant fashion.

We hope this article helped you to do just that, and we wish you good fortune in your business future!

About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Guidelines is owned by ZenBusiness Inc. This site reviews products and services that the ZenBusiness family of sites sells. Readers should be aware of this when evaluating service providers, reading reviews, and making purchase decisions. The content on this page is for informational purposes only, and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. While uses best efforts to keep all information on its site current, readers should know that it is not responsible for the accuracy of any third party content.