SunDoc Filings vs LegalZoom (Who’s Perfect For You?)
Do you need to form a new LLC, but you’d rather not go it alone? The DIY option can be a real hassle, which is why it’s nice to have the help of companies like SunDoc Filings and LegalZoom. Still, how are you supposed to figure out which provider to use for LLC service?
In this SunDoc Filings vs LegalZoom comparison, I’ll outline their commonalities and major differentiators in order to make your decision easier.
7 Things They Have In Common
- Both SunDoc Filings and LegalZoom have LLC services that can save you hundreds of dollars over hiring a business attorney to draft and file your formation documents. Compared to other business structures, LLCs are relatively simple and may not need a lawyer’s expertise to form.
- While you do save quite a bit of money with these providers, you’re still supported by their extensive customer service departments. Both companies have support reps who can answer your tough questions, so you don’t have to spend hours searching for the answers yourself.
- LegalZoom and SunDoc Filings offer 100% satisfaction guarantees. If for any reason you’re less than entirely happy with your LLC formation, they’ll refund any fees you paid to them. No questions asked!
- Do you feel more comfortable purchasing services from highly experienced companies? SunDoc Filings and LegalZoom have helped thousands of entrepreneurs form companies over the years. They’re as legitimate and trustworthy as it gets.
- If you can use other business services like a federal tax ID number (EIN) or registered agent, these companies can help with those services and many more. Don’t waste time going to several different providers, when SunDoc Filings and LegalZoom are one-stop shops for business solutions.
- Do you prefer to read customer feedback before making a purchase? No problem! Both LegalZoom and SunDoc Filings have hundreds of reviews for you to peruse, which give you a good idea of what their customer experiences are like.
- Your online security is a priority for both of these providers. LegalZoom protects their site with Norton Web Security, which encrypts data transfers and defends against malware. For their part, SunDoc Filings uses GeoTrust which provides super-secure SSL certificates that guarantee your security.
Side by Side Comparisons
LegalZoom’s LLC formation services start at $149 plus state fee, which is a price point SunDoc Filings can beat. Their base rate for prep and filing of formation documents is just $79.
For the most part, their base packages are pretty similar, but LegalZoom does include a customized operating agreement which defines the structure of your LLC. Keep in mind if you’re forming an LLC in California that SunDoc Filings has some unique advantages. For example, they visit the California Secretary of State’s office 3 times daily, which allows them to offer 24-hour formations for customers in that state.
SunDoc Filings is a mid-sized company in the LLC formation industry, with several thousand customers served since 1999. On the other hand, LegalZoom is one of the leading LLC services, as they’ve served about 2 million business clients since they opened their doors in 1999.
SunDoc Filings has a highly personal style when it comes to customer service. You can always call them and ask to speak with one of their knowledgeable reps, or you can email the support agent of your choice directly — their email addresses are all listed on the SunDoc Filings website. Their support hours run from 11am to 8pm ET on weekdays.
As a larger company, LegalZoom isn’t able to offer the same level of personal service. Many of their service reps are quite good in their own right, but because there’s so many of them you can’t expect them all to be top-notch. One advantage LegalZoom has in this area is their extended support hours. You can call them from 8am to 10pm ET Monday through Friday, and they’re even open on weekends from 10am to 7pm ET.
If you form in Califonia, SunDoc Filings can complete your formation within 24 hours, which is obviously a turnaround that can’t be beat. Other than California, their estimates vary by state and range from 2-3 days up to several weeks.
As for LegalZoom, their turnarounds aren’t structured on a state-by-state basis, but rather depend on which LLC service package you purchase from them. They range from 30 days for their cheapest package to 7-10 days for their most expensive package.
Both of these companies do offer some sort of basic order status update system on their websites, which you can check if you log in to your account. Neither of them are especially fancy, but they get the job done.
Registered Agent Service
SunDoc Filings registered agent service varies in price by state from $169 to $189 per year. On the other hand, LegalZoom charges $159 annually for registered agent in any state. (What is a Registered Agent?)
Customer feedback is a major pro for SunDoc Filings, as the praise from their clients is nearly universal. In their hundreds of online reviews, they maintain high average scores due mostly to their quick and simple services. It’s also worth noting that complaints about their service department are nearly nonexistent.
Things aren’t quite as sunny for LegalZoom when it comes to feedback. Their reviews are quite mixed between positive and critical. For every client complimenting their efficient service, there’s another one with complaints about inconsistent support or billing issues.
Ease of Use
LegalZoom’s website is a bit more sleek and professional, but they’re both equally easy to use so it’s just a minor observation. Aside from that, both of these companies offer easy to understand and simple to use services.
Overall, SunDoc Filings and LegalZoom are two of the top LLC formation services online. I understand that some of you may not have made up your minds yet, so to finish this comparison I’ll outline a few scenarios that may sway your opinion one way or the other. Either way, I wish you the best of luck with your new LLC!
Choose SunDoc Filings if You Are:
Forming an LLC in California? SunDoc Filings has some advantages due to their office being in Sacramento. In addition, they can save you some money over LegalZoom in all states.
Choose LegalZoom if You Are:
Brand power. Experience. Customer Volume. These are the main reasons customers choose LegalZoom. If these factors are important to you, maybe you should choose them too.