SunDoc Filings vs LegalZoom (Who’s Right For You?)
Do you need to create an LLC, but you’d rather not go it alone?
The DIY option can be a real hassle, which is why it’s nice to have the help of companies like SunDoc Filings and LegalZoom. But how are you supposed to figure out which provider to use for LLC service?
In this SunDoc Filings vs LegalZoom comparison, we’ll outline their commonalities and major differentiators in order to make your decision easier. Let’s find out which one is the better fit for your new company!
* Note: If you would like to compare the top LLC services, we reviewed and ranked the best based on overall value-price-reliability. See Comparison.
In our opinion, SunDoc Filings and LegalZoom are both reputable and trustworthy companies offering LLC formation service at fair rates. However, SunDoc Filings has some advantages that make them the better option for most of our readers.
To begin with, SunDoc Filings charges a much lower rate of $99 for LLC service, compared to LegalZoom’s $149 price point. In addition, SunDoc Filings receives tremendously positive feedback from their customers, but LegalZoom’s reviews are much more mixed between positive and negative.
Would you like to get some more information before making your decision? Read on to get all the details on the similarities and differences between these two respected LLC service providers.
7 Things They Have In Common
1) Affordable: Both SunDoc Filings and LegalZoom have LLC services that can save you hundreds of dollars over hiring a business attorney to draft and file your formation documents. Compared to other business structures, LLCs are relatively simple and may not need a lawyer’s expertise to form.
2) Customer Support: While you do save quite a bit of money with these providers, you’re still supported by their extensive customer service departments. Both companies have support reps who can answer your tough questions, so you don’t have to spend hours searching for the answers yourself.
3) Satisfaction Guaranteed: LegalZoom and SunDoc Filings offer 100% satisfaction guarantees. If for any reason you’re less than entirely happy with your LLC formation, they’ll refund any fees you paid to them. No questions asked!
4) Experience: Do you feel more comfortable purchasing services from highly experienced companies? SunDoc Filings and LegalZoom have helped thousands of entrepreneurs form companies over the years. They’re as legitimate and trustworthy as it gets.
5) Additional Services: If you’re interested in other business services like a federal tax ID number (EIN) or registered agent, these companies can help with those services and many more. Don’t waste time going to several different providers, when SunDoc Filings and LegalZoom are one-stop shops for business solutions.
6) Customer Feedback: Do you prefer to read customer feedback before making a purchase? No problem! Both LegalZoom and SunDoc Filings have hundreds of reviews for you to peruse, which give you a good idea of what their customer experiences are like.
7) Security: Your online security is a priority for both of these providers. LegalZoom protects their site with Norton Web Security, which encrypts data transfers and defends against malware. For their part, SunDoc Filings uses GeoTrust which provides super-secure SSL certificates that guarantee your security.
Side by Side Comparisons
With SunDoc Filings, the base rate for the full preparation and filing of formation documents is just $99. LegalZoom’s pricing for LLC service starts at $149.
The features you’ll receive with your LLC formation are pretty similar between these two providers, with one notable exception being LegalZoom’s inclusion of a banking resolution to help you open a business checking or savings account.
Keep in mind if you’re creating an LLC in California that SunDoc Filings has some unique advantages. For example, they visit the California Secretary of State’s office three times daily, which allows them to offer 24-hour formations for customers in that state.
SunDoc Filings is a mid-sized company in the LLC formation industry, with several thousand customers served since 1999. On the other hand, LegalZoom is one of the leading LLC services, as they’ve served over 2 million business clients since they opened their doors in 1999.
SunDoc Filings has a highly personal style when it comes to customer service. You can always call them and ask to speak with one of their knowledgeable reps, or you can email the support agent of your choice directly — their email addresses are all listed on the SunDoc Filings website. Their support hours run from 11am to 8pm ET on weekdays.
As a larger company, LegalZoom isn’t able to offer the same level of personal service. Many of their service reps are quite good in their own right, but because there’s so many of them you can’t expect them all to be top-notch. One advantage LegalZoom has in this area is their extended support hours. You can call them from 8am to 10pm ET Monday through Friday, and they’re even open on weekends from 10am to 7pm ET.
If you form in California, SunDoc Filings can complete your formation within 24 hours, which is obviously a turnaround that can’t be beat. Other than California, their estimates vary by state and range from 2-3 days up to several weeks.
As for LegalZoom, their turnarounds aren’t structured on a state-by-state basis, but rather depend on which level of LLC service package you purchase from them. They range from 30 days for their cheapest package to 7-10 days for their most expensive package.
Both of these companies do offer some sort of basic order status update system on their websites, which you can check if you log into your account. Neither of them are especially fancy, but they get the job done.
Registered Agent Service
SunDoc Filings and LegalZoom charge the same rate of $159 per year for registered agent service. (What is a Registered Agent?)
Customer feedback is a major pro for SunDoc Filings, as the praise from their clients is nearly universal. In their 1,500+ online reviews, they maintain high average scores due mostly to their quick and simple services. It’s also worth noting that complaints about their service department are nearly nonexistent.
Things aren’t quite as sunny for LegalZoom when it comes to feedback. Their 1,000+ reviews are quite mixed between positive and critical. For every client complimenting their efficient service, there’s another one with complaints about inconsistent support or billing issues.
Ease of Use
LegalZoom’s website is a bit more sleek and professional, but they’re both equally easy to use so it’s just a minor observation. Aside from that, both of these companies offer easy to understand and simple to use services.
Overall, SunDoc Filings and LegalZoom are two good services to form an LLC online. We understand that some of you may not have made up your minds yet, so to finish this comparison we’ll outline a few scenarios that may sway your opinion one way or the other.
Choose LegalZoom if You Are:
Interested in brand power? Experience? Customer Volume? These are the main reasons customers choose LegalZoom. If these factors are important to you, form your LLC with LegalZoom.
When to Choose SunDoc Filings:
Creating an LLC in California? SunDoc Filings has some advantages due to their office being in Sacramento. In addition, their prices for LLC service across the board are lower than LegalZoom’s.