SunDoc Filings LLC Service Review (Features, Packages & More)
SunDoc Filings opened in 1999, and they’ve served thousands of customers since their formation. There’s a lot of competition in the LLC services industry, but SunDoc Filings has some advantages that make them a strong contender for formation services.
With this SunDoc Filings LLC services review, you’ll find the information you need laid out in a convenient fashion. By the time you’re done reading, you’ll have a clearer picture of whether you want to use their services or not.
Advantages & Disadvantages
Advantages of SunDoc Filings
- Forming an LLC in California? SunDoc Filings is a great choice. They visit the California Secretary of State’s office in person 3 times every day, meaning they’re able to offer 24-hour processing which obviously no competitor can top.
- Customer feedback is a major strength for them. SunDoc Filings gets excellent ratings from their clients, and there’s hundreds of reviews to read through. It’s hard to complain about a large volume of high-quality reviews.
- With their 100% satisfaction guarantee, they’ll refund any fees you pay to SunDoc Filings if you’re unhappy for any reason.
Disadvantages of SunDoc Filings
- SunDoc Filings is not the most affordable LLC service, with pricing that starts at $79. There are alternatives that will form your LLC for $30 less. (See Top Services)
- Unfortunately, they don’t bundle in registered agent service with any of their LLC formation packages. Some competitors include a full year, which costs an extra $149 with SunDoc Filings.
- The Complete package for $279 is easily the worst “bargain” I’ve seen in this industry. If you wanted to add the features included at this level on an a la carte basis to either of their other packages, you would actually save money over buying the bundle.
SunDoc Filings LLC Packages
SunDoc Filings offers customers 3 levels of LLC service packages, each of which is structured in a way that they hope will appeal to a variety of customers. To look at exactly how they present these packages, check out their website for the full details.
This is usually where I say something about each of these packages applying to different types of businesses, and how there is no “one size fits all” solution for LLC formation. In this case, I believe that only one of these packages is worth buying. Let’s see if you agree with me!
The Pro package is the cheapest, and at just $79 (plus state fee) it’s an appealing price point. However, at this level you have to fill out your own articles of formation and even do your own name availability check. The only other feature is a checklist of formation requirements.
I’m just not sure why you would even need service from a provider like SunDoc Filings if you were going to DIY all of this stuff anyway. In their own words, this package is designed for “Frequent Filers” but I’m not seeing it.
Next up is the Basic package for $99 plus state fees, which adds a business name availability check and the preparation of your documents. There’s no bells and whistles, but this does give you everything you need to form a compliant LLC, without requiring you to DIY any important steps.
Finally, we have the Complete package for $279, before adding state fee. This package gives you everything from the Basic package, plus a federal tax ID number (EIN) which gives your business the ability to hire employees, open bank accounts, etc. You’ll also get an LLC kit and seal, which is a symbolic feature consisting of a binder and wax seal that replicates antiquated methods of authenticating documents.
Even if you did want the LLC kit and seal, which no business needs, you could add it for $99 to the Basic package. Adding an EIN costs $70, so your total cost would be $268. For some reason though, they charge $11 extra to order the Complete package than it would be to order these features a la carte.
I’ve mentioned their a la carte features a couple times now, so why don’t we list them all here so you can get an idea for what your custom-tailored formation package might look like.
- Certified Copy of Formation Documents ($29): A hard copy of your formation papers. Handy for loan applications and foreign qualifications.
- SunDoc Rush Filing Fee ($100): This doesn’t include state rush fees, which can add hundreds of dollars to your total. All this does is ensure that SunDoc Filings will handle things on their end as quickly as possible.
- EIN Obtainment ($70): They’ll apply for and acquire your EIN, ensuring you can staff your company, file compliant business taxes, etc.
- LLC Kit and Seal ($99): A binder to organize your documents, and a wax seal to stamp them with.
- LLC Kit Upgrade ($39): A fancier binder and seal.
- Sample Operating Agreement and Minutes ($69): Document templates to create your own operating agreement, which outlines the structure of your LLC, and minutes which can be used to plan and execute meetings for your company.
- Registered Agent ($149/year): They will alert you whenever they receive your important government documents, and immediately forward them to your address.
- Annual Report Filing ($69): Many states require businesses to file these, which are basically an overview of your current LLC structure to keep the state up to date on any significant company changes.
- Certificate of Good Standing ($39): These documents are a way to prove your company’s compliant status with your state of formation. There are a number of uses for these forms, like some advanced banking transactions, loan applications, ownership structure changes, etc.
- Rush Processing (varies by state): Official government order expediting fees, set by your state of formation.
- FedEx Priority Overnight Shipping ($25)
I don’t see any reason for any entrepreneur to buy the Pro or Complete packages. I almost wonder if they’re structured that way intentionally to make the Basic package look better. Whatever the reason, I would recommend ordering Basic, then adding a year of registered agent and an EIN for a total price of $318.
What Are Other Entrepreneurs Saying?
This is one area where SunDoc Filings really shines. Most of their customer feedback can be found on TrustPilot, where they maintain a sparkling 9.6 average rating out of 10 points. There’s a robust collection of reviews too, currently sitting at 850 total on TrustPilot as I write this. As for the content of that feedback, it seems that their customers are most pleased with their speedy service, and their easily understood formation process.
There’s no other way to view customer feedback as anything other than a huge positive for SunDoc Filings.
Should You Use SunDoc Filings?
SunDoc Filings is a strong choice for LLC services because they have excellent customer reviews and they offer super-fast formations in California. Of course, no one provider is the right choice for every single entrepreneur out there looking to form an LLC, so to end this review I’ll discuss scenarios where you may or may not want to use SunDoc Filings.
When to Use SunDoc Filings
If you place a high value on customer reviews, you can’t go wrong with SunDoc Filings. Also, if you’re forming an LLC in California, their expedited service is as fast as it gets.
When NOT to Use SunDoc Filings
If you’re looking to save money, or if you want service packages containing advanced features, you can probably do better with one of their competitors.
SunDoc Filings has great customer feedback, which is always a highly attractive feature. If you’re not yet ready to make a final decision, take a look at our guide to the top LLC services. Otherwise, feel free to get started forming your LLC with SunDoc Filings today.