MyCompanyWorks vs LegalZoom (Who’s Your Right Choice?)
Are you in the process of forming a new LLC and you require some assistance? There are plenty of LLC services such as MyCompanyWorks (formerly MyNewCompany) and LegalZoom that can help you out, but it can be tricky to figure out which one will be the right fit for your company.
This MyNewCompany vs LegalZoom comparison is structured in a way that highlights MyCompanyWorks commonalities and differences between these two providers, with the goal being to help you choose which one can best serve your business.
7 Things They Have In Common
- Either of these services is capable of forming your new LLC, while still saving you hundreds of dollars over hiring an experienced business lawyer to handle your formation.
- Both MyCompanyWorks and LegalZoom have friendly, professional customer service reps who can help you through every step of the LLC formation process, as well as assisting you with ongoing compliance requirements.
- If security is a concern for you, these providers alleviate those worries with reputable 3rd-party security programs. MyCompanyWorks uses GeoTrust to verify merchant identity, while LegalZoom has Norton Web Security defending the site from malware and encrypting data.
- Need more information, whether it relates to your LLC formation or something else down the line? Both of these companies have learning centers on their websites, where you can find solutions to all sorts of compliance questions.
- These are both highly experienced service providers. LegalZoom and MyCompanyWorks have served thousands of customers each, so you can trust them to complete your formation accurately and efficiently.
- If you require further business services, there’s no need to track down multiple providers. MyCompanyWorks and LegalZoom both offer extensive legal and business solutions, like registered agent, licensing and permits, etc.
- Both services provide customers with 100% satisfaction guarantees, which ensure your quality service or they’ll refund any fees you paid to them. It’s nice to have this reassuring safety net backing up any purchases you make.
Side by Side Comparisons
With a base rate of $79, MyCompanyWorks can save you some money over LegalZoom’s starting price of $149. (See Details)
These services have quite similar packages of features, especially at the baseline level where the only major difference is MyCompanyWorks including custom meeting minutes. There are some other differences in the more expensive tiers — like MyCompanyWorks including an EIN — but for the most part their service packages are roughly equivalent.
LegalZoom has a marked experience advantage, as they’ve served nearly 2 million business customers — and 4 million clients overall — since 1999. MyCompanyWorks is plenty experienced as well, with 50,000+ business clients since they opened back in 2001.
LegalZoom’s customers love their extended support hours, as they’re open for calls and emails from 8am to 10pm ET on weekdays. They’re even open weekends from 10am to 7pm ET. While they are highly available, the consistency of their service is a bit hit or miss. Keep in mind that LegalZoom is a huge operation with a large service department, so it’s likely inevitable that some inconsistencies arise from time to time.
MyCompanyWorks doesn’t have the extended support hours that LegalZoom does — they’re available from 10:30am to 7:30pm ET on weekdays, but not at all on weekends — but they have a major advantage when it comes to responding to your calls. They return most emails and phone calls in 20 minutes or less!
MyCompanyWorks’ turnaround times vary by state, from as little as 1-2 business days, all the way up to several weeks. With LegalZoom, time estimates are tied to the level of service you order, from 7-10 days up to about one month.
MyCompanyWorks sends you email notifications whenever your status updates, whereas LegalZoom doesn’t have any specific tracking system beyond basic order confirmations.
Registered Agent Service
Neither company provides registered agent in their base packages, but MyCompanyWorks does include a year of registered agent in their $279 Complete package. MyCompanyWorks typically charges $99 annually for registered agent service, whereas with LegalZoom it costs $159 per year. (What is a Registered Agent?)
MyCompanyWorks enjoys stellar customer feedback, with high average scores and well over a thousand reviews. Their customers often go into detail about the great support they receive, and how customizable their services are.
As for LegalZoom, their feedback is much more mixed. Many customers enjoy their service department, but others bring up issues like inconsistent support and billing mistakes. Considering LegalZoom has served millions of customers, it’s no surprise that a few of them fall through the cracks every once in a while.
Ease of Use
There isn’t a big difference in this area, but I will say that I personally find LegalZoom’s website to be easier to navigate then MyCompanyWorks’ site is. Again, this is not a major complaint, but LegalZoom clearly put a bit more consideration into their user interface.
While these companies may offer similar services, they also have plenty of differences that may make one of them more appealing to you than the other. When it comes to forming your LLC, you want to make sure you’re making the best choice.
If you still haven’t chosen which one you prefer, let’s go over some scenarios that might help you make your decision.
Choose MyCompanyWorks if You Are:
If saving money is a priority for you, MyCompanyWorks can form your LLC for less than LegalZoom can. Additionally, their customer reviews are consistently positive, whereas LegalZoom’s are mixed in nature.
Choose LegalZoom if You Are:
LegalZoom has the advantage when it comes to 2 important factors: experience and brand power. If these are priorities for you, then LegalZoom should be a strong choice for your LLC formation.