MyCompanyWorks vs LegalZoom (Who’s Your Right Choice?)
Are you in the process of forming a new LLC and you require some assistance? There are plenty of LLC services such as MyCompanyWorks (formerly MyNewCompany) and LegalZoom that can help you out, but it can be tricky to figure out which one will be the right fit for your company.
This MyCompanyWorks vs LegalZoom comparison is structured in a way that highlights the commonalities and differences between these two providers, with the goal being to help you choose which one can best serve your business.
* Note: If you would like to compare the top LLC services, we reviewed and ranked the best based on overall value-price-reliability. See Comparison.
With MyCompanyWorks and LegalZoom, we’re talking about two of the top LLC formation service providers in the entire industry. They’re both easy to recommend, and we wouldn’t blame you at all if your preference is different than ours is. However, MyCompanyWorks has some clear-cut advantages that make them our preferred pick.
Most importantly, MyCompanyWorks offers LLC service starting at $79, but with LegalZoom you’ll pay at least $149 for similar service. In addition, MyCompanyWorks receives excellent customer feedback, whereas LegalZoom’s reviews are much more mixed between positive and negative.
Would you like to learn more about these two respected companies before making your choice? Read on to discover all the important details that they share in common, as well as those that set them apart.
6 Things They Have In Common
1) Affordable: Either of these services is capable of forming your new LLC, while still saving you hundreds of dollars over hiring an experienced business lawyer to handle your formation.
2) Customer Support: Both MyCompanyWorks and LegalZoom have friendly, professional customer service reps who can help you through every step of the LLC formation process, as well as assist you with ongoing compliance requirements.
3) Security: If security is a concern for you, these providers alleviate those worries with reputable third-party security programs. MyCompanyWorks uses GeoTrust to verify merchant identity, while LegalZoom has Norton Web Security defending the site from malware while also encrypting data.
4) Educational: Need more information, whether it relates to your LLC formation or something else down the line? Both of these companies have learning centers on their websites, where you can find solutions to all sorts of compliance questions.
5) Experience: These are both highly experienced service providers. LegalZoom and MyCompanyWorks have served thousands of customers each, so you can trust them to complete your formation accurately and efficiently.
6) Additional Services: If you require further business services, there’s no need to track down multiple providers. MyCompanyWorks and LegalZoom both offer extensive legal and business solutions, like registered agent, licensing and permits, etc.
Side by Side Comparisons
MyCompanyWorks offers LLC formation service starting at $79, which is much less expensive than LegalZoom’s baseline price point of $149.
With any MyCompanyWorks LLC service package, you’ll receive a custom LLC operating agreement to describe the ownership structure and general operational strategy of your business. In addition, they include a corporate alerts tool that helps you track your compliance deadlines, and custom organizational minutes to help you structure company meetings.
LegalZoom doesn’t include any of these features in their base package, but they do provide a banking resolution to help you open business checking/savings accounts.
LegalZoom has a marked experience advantage, as they’ve served over 2 million business customers — and 4 million clients overall — since 1999. MyCompanyWorks is plenty experienced as well, with 50,000+ business clients served since they opened back in 2001.
LegalZoom’s customers love their extended support hours, as they’re open for calls and emails from 8am to 10pm ET on weekdays. They’re even open weekends from 10am to 7pm ET. While they are highly available, the consistency of their service is a bit hit or miss. Keep in mind that LegalZoom is a huge operation with a large service department, so it’s likely inevitable that some inconsistencies arise from time to time.
MyCompanyWorks doesn’t have the extended support hours that LegalZoom does — they’re available from 10:30am to 7:30pm ET on weekdays — but they have a major advantage when it comes to responding to your calls. They return most emails and phone calls in 20 minutes or less, and their helpful, professional service representatives are quite popular with their customers.
MyCompanyWorks’ turnaround times vary by state, from as little as 1-2 business days, all the way up to several weeks. They also offer expedited filings where available.
With LegalZoom, time estimates are tied to the level of service you order, from 7-10 business days with their most expensive service package up to about 30 business days with their most affordable package.
MyCompanyWorks sends you email notifications whenever your status updates, and LegalZoom has an order tracking tool in your account on their website. Both are effective and efficient methods.
Registered Agent Service
Neither company provides registered agent in their base packages, but MyCompanyWorks does include a year of registered agent in their $279 Complete package. MyCompanyWorks typically charges $99 annually for registered agent service, whereas with LegalZoom it costs $159 per year. (What is a Registered Agent?)
MyCompanyWorks enjoys stellar customer feedback, with high average scores and well over 2,000 reviews. Their customers often go into detail about the great support they receive, and how customizable their services are.
As for LegalZoom, their feedback is much more mixed. Many of their customers are quite satisfied, but others bring up issues like inconsistent support and billing mistakes. Considering LegalZoom has served millions of customers, it’s no surprise that a few of them fall through the cracks every once in a while.
While these companies may offer similar services, they also have plenty of differences that may make one of them more appealing to you than the other. When it comes to forming your LLC, you want to make sure you’re making the best choice.
If you still haven’t chosen which one you prefer, let’s go over some scenarios that might help you make your decision.
Choose MyCompanyWorks if You Are:
MyCompanyWorks has much better customer reviews and it offers more overall value in their premium packages. If that’s important to you, choose MyCompanyWorks.
Choose LegalZoom if You Are:
LegalZoom has the advantage when it comes to two important factors: experience and brand power. If these are priorities for you, then LegalZoom should be a strong choice for your LLC formation.