Do you own a business operating in the state of Kansas? If so, you may need to acquire licenses and permits to ensure that your company operates in a compliant fashion.

But how do you determine which permits and licenses you need (if any), and where do you acquire them? In this guide to Kansas business licenses and permits, we’ll answer all the tough questions about this process.

Are There Federal Licenses That My Business Needs?

First off, let’s discuss the matter of federal licenses and permits. There are many business activities that are regulated by various federal agencies, from agriculture to transportation and logistics. We recommend taking a look at the U.S. Small Business Administration’s guide to federal licenses and permits to make sure you’ve got your bases covered.

In addition, most businesses should acquire a federal tax ID number, also known as an EIN (employer identification number). This is essentially a social security number for your business, and it enables you to hire employees, pay business taxes, open business bank accounts, and more. You can acquire an EIN from the IRS for free.

What State-Level Licenses and Permits Apply in Kansas?

Kansas does not require a general license to conduct business in the state. However, there are numerous licenses that your business may need to acquire based on your industry, business activities, environmental impact, and/or location.

The KanAccess web portal provides step-by-step instructions on forming your business, including information on how to register for industry-specific licenses. Additionally, this website provides guides for newly-formed entities to navigate the state’s legal requirements for small businesses.

Occupational Licenses and Permits

In Kansas, there are hundreds of occupational licenses that apply to various industries. For example, your business may be required to obtain a Cosmetologist License in order to conduct certain business in a beauty salon, or a Professional Counselor License in order to provide counseling services in Kansas. You can find a list of the most common occupational licenses (as well as the departments that administer them) right here.

Environmental Licenses and Permits

You may also be required to obtain one or more environmental licenses if your business has a significant impact on air, water, or soil quality. You can learn more about these environmental licensing requirements on the Kansas Department of Health and Environment website.

Which Tax Registrations are Required for Kansas Businesses?

In addition to occupational licenses and permits, there are a number of state-level tax registrations, which are based on the industry you operate in and which business structure your company uses.

Every Kansas business will need to submit the Kansas Business Tax Application in order to register to pay state taxes. This form includes registration for all of the most common tax types in the state.

This form also allows you to register for various industry-specific taxes, from the Retailer’s Sales Tax to the Tire Excise Tax. You can find more information to determine which taxes apply to your business on the Kansas Department of Revenue website.

Are There Local Licenses, Permits, or Registrations in Kansas?

The answer to this question obviously depends on where in Kansas you’re operating your business, but there are indeed quite a few licenses, permits, and tax registrations required by Kansas localities.

Depending on the city/county in which you conduct business, you may be required to obtain a local business license. You will need to contact the local county or city clerk in the district in which your business is primarily located. Thankfully, cities like WichitaOverland ParkKansas City, and Olathe maintain business resource websites to help with the licensing process.

If we were to break down the exact rules and regulations regarding permitting in every locality in the state of Kansas, this article would become excessively lengthy. With that in mind, we’ll simply say that every business owner should check with their local government to determine whether there are licenses, permits, or tax registrations required to operate in compliant fashion.

Can I Hire Someone to Research Licenses and Permits for My Business?

If this process sounds like a bit of a hassle, that’s because it certainly can be. If you would rather hire a reputable business services provider to handle this for you, that is always an option.

ZenBusiness can research the necessary licenses and permits for your company on the federal, state, county, and municipal levels. We’ll then send you the applications you need to acquire these permits and licenses, meaning all you need to do is fill them out and mail them in. Plus, if you need help with company formation, we can help with that filing as well.


There is no one-size-fits-all answer for the question of which licenses and permits your business might require to operate in the state of Kansas. Instead, it’s important that you know how to access the resources to determine which permits your company needs to operate in a compliant fashion.

We hope this article helped you to do just that, and we wish you good fortune in your business future!

About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Guidelines is owned by ZenBusiness Inc. This site reviews products and services that the ZenBusiness family of sites sells. Readers should be aware of this when evaluating service providers, reading reviews, and making purchase decisions. The content on this page is for informational purposes only, and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. While uses best efforts to keep all information on its site current, readers should know that it is not responsible for the accuracy of any third party content.