Incorporate.com vs LegalZoom (Which is Better?)
Are you forming a new LLC, but going it alone with the DIY route is unappealing to you? Thankfully, services like Incorporate.com and LegalZoom exist for just that reason, to help you with LLC formation and many other business services.
With this Incorporate.com vs LegalZoom comparison, you’ll find the information you need laid out in a convenient manner. By reviewing their commonalities and differences, we hope this helps make your decision a bit easier.
* Note: If you would like to compare the top LLC services, we reviewed and ranked the best based on overall value-price-reliability. See Comparison.
With Incorporate.com and LegalZoom, we’re talking about two of the best and most popular LLC formation service providers available. They’re both quality companies that are easy to recommend, in our opinion. Still, LegalZoom has a couple of advantages that make them our preferred pick.
First off, LegalZoom has a level of brand power and customer volume that’s unrivaled in this industry. Additionally, their extended customer support hours can come in really handy.
Would you like some more info before making your decision? Read on as we break down the major factors that set these two companies apart.
7 Things They Have In Common
1) Affordable: Whether you choose Incorporate.com or LegalZoom, you can save lots of money over enlisting the services of a traditional business attorney. Most LLC formations aren’t complex enough to necessitate a lawyer, so these providers can fit your needs nicely.
2) Customer Support: One of the best selling points for these companies is the customer service. Instead of spending hours digging around on your own whenever you have a question or concern, you can simply email or call them to get your issues resolved quickly.
3) Guaranteed Services: Both of these providers offer strong guarantees to back up their services. LegalZoom has a satisfaction guarantee which states that if you’re unhappy for any reason, they will refund the fees you paid them. Incorporate.com has a Corporate Compliance Guarantee which says they’ll pay you up to $75,000 if they make a mistake while filing your formation documents.
4) Experience: If experience matters to you, both of these companies have plenty of it. LegalZoom has served millions of customers, while Incorporate.com has been open since the 19th century.
5) Additional Services: LegalZoom and Incorporate.com both offer many additional services that you may find convenient after your formation. Whether you need registered agent service or EIN obtainment, they can provide these and many more services.
6) Educational: Incorporate.com and LegalZoom have tremendous amounts of free learning tools on their websites. If you want to know more about taxation issues, compliance requirements, etc., the information you’re looking for is right at your fingertips.
7) Secure: These providers take online security seriously. LegalZoom uses Norton Web Security to encrypt data and defend their site from malware. Incorporate.com uses McAfee Secure to protect their site, and they restrict access to your info to just a few staff members.
Side by Side Comparisons
Incorporate.com starts their LLC service pricing at $99 plus state fee, whereas LegalZoom charges at least $149.
Both of these companies have extensive experience. Incorporate.com has served over 750,000 businesses, and they’ve been around since 1899. No one can match their longevity. As for LegalZoom, they’ve served over 2 million business clients since they opened in 1999, a volume few competitors can touch.
Incorporate.com has helpful, professional service reps ready to assist you whenever you call or email them. They’re available from 8am to 8pm ET on weekdays.
LegalZoom’s service department is a bit inconsistent in our experience. Some of their agents are great, but with any company this big, it’s inevitable that not all of their reps are top-notch. Their extended support hours are always appreciated though, as they’re open from 8am to 10pm ET on weekdays and 10am to 7pm ET on weekends.
LegalZoom’s turnaround times vary depending on the level of LLC formation service you purchase. Their top-tier Express Gold package has 7-10 business day turnarounds, whereas their Standard package takes about 15 business days, and Economy takes around 30 days.
Incorporate.com bases their turnaround times on your state of formation, and estimates for all 50 states can be found on their website.
Incorporate.com has a slick real-time order status tracking tool on their website, so you’ll always know exactly where you stand with your formation. LegalZoom has an order status checking function on their site as well that will give you live updates.
Registered Agent Service
LegalZoom’s registered agent costs $159 per year, but Incorporate.com charges $235 annually which is one of the highest rates in the industry. (What is a Registered Agent?)
Incorporate.com only has a few dozen reviews across the web, and most of them are critical in nature. Many customers complain about being signed up for registered agent without their knowledge.
On the other hand, LegalZoom has loads of customer feedback available online, and it’s more mixed ― basically split down the middle between positive and negative. Overall, LegalZoom has the advantage when it comes to feedback, but it’s not exactly a major strength for them either.
Ease of Use
Both LegalZoom and Incorporate.com offer easy-to-use services and user-friendly websites. This area is a toss-up.
Better Service to Form an LLC?
Incorporate.com and LegalZoom are both capable and trustworthy companies with quality LLC formation service. We understand some of you still might be undecided, so to close let’s discuss situations where you may prefer one over the other.
Choose LegalZoom if You Are:
If you’re looking for brand power and want to save money, LegalZoom is a strong pick for LLC formation service.
Choose Incorporate.com if You Are:
If you prefer to use companies that have been around for a long time, they’ve been in business since the 19th century.