Harvard Business Services vs BizFilings (Which is the Better LLC Company?)
Are you looking to form a new LLC, but you’re not comfortable going it alone with the DIY route?
Do you lack the budget necessary to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars to hire an attorney to draft and file your formation papers? Companies like Harvard Business Services and BizFilings can form your LLC with minimal hassle and at reasonable price points, but how do you decide which one to use?
This Harvard Business Services vs BizFilings comparison takes an in-depth look at their most important shared characteristics, as well as the attributes that set them apart. We’re confident that by the time you’re done reading, you’ll know which one is the best option for your new company.
Harvard Business Services and BizFilings are two of our favorite LLC formation service providers. They’re both easy to recommend because they can quickly and conveniently form your new LLC, but in general we prefer Harvard Business Services.
First off, Harvard Business Services has one of the best customer feedback reputations in this industry, with thousands of positive reviews, whereas customer reviews are one of BizFilings’ weaknesses. Secondly, every Harvard Business Services formation package includes a full year of registered agent service, whereas BizFilings includes just six months’ worth. It should be noted however that BizFilings has some advantages of their own, such as the ability to form an LLC in any state, compared to the Delaware-only focus of Harvard Business Services.
Do you need some more info before you make this important decision? Let’s dive into the details of these two top-quality LLC formation service providers.
7 Things They Have In Common
1) Affordable: With either one of these companies, you’ll save a considerable amount of money compared to hiring a lawyer to form your LLC. The LLC is one of the simplest business structures in America anyway, so you may find the attorney’s expertise to be unnecessary.
2) Customer Support: While saving money is always important, it’s not the only thing that matters. To us, it’s equally important to still be able to access help when we need it. With Harvard Business Services and BizFilings, you’ll never feel left out in the cold, because their customer service reps can answer even your toughest LLC formation questions quickly and correctly.
3) Experience: Would you rather use a formation service that has already successfully formed thousands of businesses, or one with no track record of experience? Both BizFilings and Harvard Business Services have tons of experience, and you can absolutely trust them to know what they’re doing.
4) Registered Agent Service: Both of these companies include registered agent service in every LLC formation package they offer. Seeing as every LLC in America needs to designate a registered agent for compliance purposes, this is one less thing you’ll need to worry about as a Harvard Business Services or BizFilings customer.
5) Efficiency: Are you in a hurry to get your business formed? Are you operating on a tight deadline? No problem! Both BizFilings and Harvard Business Services can expedite your order to get your LLC formed in just a matter of days rather than weeks, although BizFilings does attach some hefty additional fees in addition to your state’s expediting fee (more on this shortly…).
6) Security: Online security is a big deal these days, and these service providers both take this issue seriously. Harvard Business Services has top-notch in-house security that promises to keep your private data encrypted and confidential, whereas BizFilings enlists Norton Web Security to protect their website. They’re both effective when it comes to keeping you safe online.
7) Additional Services: Are you in the market for other business services in addition to your LLC formation? Whether you’re looking for foreign qualification, an operating agreement, a federal tax ID number (EIN), or many other services, both of these providers have you covered. They’re truly one-stop business services shops.
Side by Side Comparisons
The base rate of $179 (plus state fee) offered by Harvard Business Services is a bit cheaper than the $99 rate offered by BizFilings. (See Details)
With either one of these companies, you’ll receive the essentials of formation: a business name availability check, and the preparation and filing of your articles of organization. Beyond that, BizFilings provides six months of registered agent service and six months of their online compliance monitoring tool. They will also form an LLC in any state you wish.
Harvard Business Services only forms businesses in Delaware, but they offer a full year of registered agent service, along with lifetime access to their online corporate compliance tool. Overall, your preference in this area likely comes down to whether you would like to form an LLC in the state of Delaware or elsewhere.
Harvard Business Services has formed over 150,000 businesses in Delaware since they opened back in 1981. That’s a great experience level, but BizFilings has a higher customer volume, with 500,000+ business filings since 2001.
You’ll receive high-quality customer service from either one of these companies, in our opinion. They both have professional and friendly support reps who can answer your questions quickly, allowing you to maintain your focus on actually running your business. Harvard Business Services has standard operating hours of 9am-5pm Monday through Thursday, and 9am-4pm on Fridays, while BizFilings is a bit more available from 9am-8pm ET on weekdays.
Harvard Business Services has some of the quickest processing times in the industry for LLC formations in Delaware, as they offer turnarounds in that state of just 1-3 days. For a $150 upcharge, they even offer same-day turnarounds.
BizFilings also offers expedited service, although their additional fees can add up quickly. For example, in Delaware it will cost you $60 to get BizFilings’ expediting service, plus the Delaware state fee on top of that. If you want same-day processing, it’ll cost you an additional $189. In other states, BizFilings has filing times that vary considerably based on what state you’re forming in, but if you want to expedite your order, you’ll always have to pay their $60 surcharge in addition to the state expediting fee.
BizFilings has a handy real-time order status tracking tool in the “My Account” portion of their website. Harvard Business Services says you should call or email them for a status update, providing them with your name, business name, and order number. BizFilings has the edge in this category.
Registered Agent Service
We already mentioned that Harvard Business Services offers a full year of registered agent service with any LLC formation package, and BizFilings provides six months. After that initial year, Harvard Business Services has an incredible rate of just $50 per year for registered agent service. This is the lowest rate we’ve seen for any major service provider, and they also guarantee that your rate will stay at $50 for the life of your business. As for BizFilings, they charge a much higher $149 annual price point. (What is a registered agent?)
BizFilings hardly has any customer feedback whatsoever, which is quite odd for a company with over half a million customers. We found just three reviews of their services, which is such a small volume of feedback that it’s impossible to analyze in any meaningful way.
As for Harvard Business Services, they have about 2,500 reviews available online, and almost all of them are extremely positive in nature. Clearly, this category is a huge victory for Harvard Business Services.
Ease of Use
Both Harvard Business Services and BizFilings offer LLC formation service that’s very simple to leverage compared to the DIY route. They also both have smartly built websites that are easy to navigate. Ease of use is a strength for both of these service providers.
Which LLC Provider Wins?
With Harvard Business Services and BizFilings, we’re discussing two of the best and most popular LLC formation service providers available today. Regardless of which one you decide to use to form your LLC, we think you’ll be satisfied with the service you receive.
That said, if you still haven’t been able to make up your mind, we’ll close out this comparison guide by taking a quick look at some of the main reasons customers choose one over the other. No matter which company forms your new business, we wish you the best of luck!
Choose Harvard Business Services if You Are:
If you’re forming a business in Delaware, they’re the obvious choice. In addition, if you value positive customer feedback, or you want affordable registered agent service, Harvard Business Services is a great option.
Choose BizFilings if You Are:
If you want to form an LLC in any state other than Delaware, BizFilings can definitely help you out.