Harbor Compliance LLC Service Review (Advantages, Disadvantages & More)
Harbor Compliance opened in 2012, and they’ve already helped over 10,000 customers in those few years.
There are many LLC services available, but Harbor Compliance has still managed to carve out a place for themselves in the industry.
This Harbor Compliance LLC service review is structured so that you can easily find the information you need in order to decide whether or not you’d like to use their services.
Advantages & Disadvantages
Advantages of Harbor Compliance:
– The biggest selling point for Harbor Compliance is their premium customer service. Every client is assigned a Compliance Specialist who walks you through each step of your formation. If you ever have questions, you can directly call or email your Specialist. No waiting on hold, and no talking to random service reps who aren’t familiar with your business.
– Harbor Compliance is a complete LLC formation service provider. They even offer assistance with state-specific compliance guidelines, like publishing your formation in newspapers. Not all providers tell you that you might need these features, and even fewer offer to help you with them.
– Every customer who orders LLC formation through Harbor Compliance receives a full year of their registered agent service.
– Customer feedback is a plus for Harbor Compliance, as it’s nearly impossible to find any critical reviews of their services anywhere online.
Disadvantages of Harbor Compliance:
– While still representing a significant savings over hiring a lawyer, their premium service comes at a price. Harbor Compliance’s LLC formation packages start at $399 before state fee. (See Cheaper LLC Services)
Harbor Compliance LLC Packages
Harbor Compliance presents customers with two options for LLC service: Formation and Compliance. If you’d like to see how they define these packages in their own words, feel free to take a look at their website.
Formation = $399 + State Fee
– Preparation and Filing of Your Articles of Organization: These forms are submitted to your state of formation to officially create your new LLC. Harbor Compliance will draft these documents, and file them with the state.
– Name Availability Search: To ensure that the name you want for your company is available, they’ll search your state business database to make sure someone else hasn’t already claimed it.
– One Year Registered Agent Service: Every LLC operating in America needs to designate a registered agent. This is a person or entity that receives important document deliveries from the state on your behalf, then forwards them to you. After your first free year of registered agent, Harbor Compliance charges $99/year, which is a solid price point ― though you are in no way obligated to renew.
– Federal Tax ID Number (EIN): An EIN is basically a Social Security Number for your business. With an EIN, you can hire employees, file business taxes, open business bank accounts, etc.
– Sample Operating Agreement: This document outlines the ownership structure of your LLC, and also lays out some guidelines for how it will be operated. Harbor Compliance supplies a template for you to create your own operating agreement.
Compliance = $799 + State Fee
Everything from the Formation package, plus…
– Managed Annual Report Service: Harbor Compliance will handle every aspect of your LLC’s annual reports. They’ll keep track of your due dates, create your reports, and submit them to your state.
– Initial Report: In some states, you need to file an initial report after forming your LLC. Harbor Compliance will draft and file this report on your behalf.
– Publishing: Select states require every new LLC to publish proof of their formation in a local newspaper, then provide the state with an affidavit showing that you complied with the regulation.
– LLC Kit and Seal: A binder with your company name embossed on it, along with a symbolic seal customized with your business name, state of formation, and incorporation date.
– S Corp or C Corp Tax Election: If you choose to have your LLC be taxed like a corporation instead of like a partnership, Harbor Compliance will prepare and file the necessary forms with the IRS.
– Ongoing Support: The Formation package only provides access to customer support through your LLC’s successful formation, whereas the Compliance package provides ongoing customer service access.
Harbor Compliance Customer Reviews
As a relatively new company with just a few years of experience, it’s not surprising that Harbor Compliance doesn’t have a ton of online customer feedback, at least not compared to some competitors that have thousands of reviews. Still, the feedback they do have is so positive that it’s easy to overlook the fact that there isn’t a lot of it.
If you would like to get a feel for what the Harbor Compliance customer experience is like, we would recommend reading through some of their reviews for yourself on BBB and Facebook.
In general, the vast majority of their clients mention the exceptional support they receive from Harbor Compliance’s service reps, which is no big surprise to anyone familiar with their services.
– Better Business Bureau: 5.0 out of 5 stars (34 reviews)
– Facebook: 4.7 out of 5 stars (20 reviews)
Is There a Better Harbor Compliance Alternative?
Harbor Compliance definitely has some distinct advantages in the online LLC services world, but there’s a lot of competition in this industry these days. If Harbor Compliance doesn’t sound like a perfect fit for your business, there are plenty of other options that we could take a look at.
Our favorite Harbor Compliance alternative is IncFile. Their prices are much lower than Harbor Compliance’s, as they start at just $49, which still includes a full year of registered agent service. They also have thousands of positive reviews all across the web.
When considering these two companies, think of Harbor Compliance as more of a premium service with fully managed LLC formations. Is that worth a $350 minimum price difference? That’s up to you!
Is Harbor Compliance Right For You?
Harbor Compliance is one of the top LLC formation services online. Of course, every business has a unique set of requirements when it comes to formation and ongoing compliance concerns, so let’s wrap things up by discussing a couple scenarios in which you may or may not want to use Harbor Compliance.
When to Use Harbor Compliance:
Any entrepreneur who wants a complete LLC formation package with next-level customer service has to be interested in Harbor Compliance. The Compliance package is worth pursuing if your state has complex compliance requirements.
When NOT to Use Harbor Compliance:
There are cheaper ways to form your LLC with registered agent service, like with IncFile for just $49 compared to Harbor Compliance’s $399 base rate.
Harbor Compliance is a great option to provide fully managed LLC service because of their fantastic customer support and their valuable packages of well-balanced features.
Frequently Asked Harbor Compliance Questions
Does Harbor Compliance Offer Any Discounts?
We didn’t find any active discounts for Harbor Compliance. They’re more of a premium service provider anyway, so that was the expected outcome.
Does Harbor Compliance Have Good Customer Support?
Harbor Compliance’s claim to fame is their next-level customer service. Each one of their clients gets paired up with a Compliance Specialist who walks you through every step of the LLC formation process. Very few competitors can match their level of involved support.
Do They Have a Refund Policy?
In their own words: “If you order services from us, you may not cancel.” Fair enough!
Can I Form an LLC on My Own?
You certainly have this option, and quite a few entrepreneurs do choose to form their own LLCs. The reason we aren’t huge fans of the DIY route is because it often requires quite a bit of legwork, especially if your state has any advanced compliance requirements. On the other end of the spectrum, some people hire lawyers to form their LLCs, but this is a much more expensive option than using an online LLC service.