Change Hawaii Registered AgentYou formed your Hawaii LLC. You did the paperwork. You started operating your business.

And now, for one reason or another, you need to change your registered agent. No worries, we’ve got you covered.

There are a number of reasons you might need to change your Hawaii LLC’s registered agent. Maybe your designated registered agent moved out of state, left the company, or no longer wants the responsibility. Maybe you had assigned the job to yourself, and you no longer want your address on public record. Maybe (hopefully) your business has expanded so much that you no longer have time to handle the registered agent responsibilities.

Whatever your reason may be, changing a registered agent in Hawaii might seem like a daunting task, with a mountain of paperwork and legal proceedings involved. However it’s actually quite simple, and this guide will help make the process quick and painless.

Find Your Zen

What the State of Hawaii Says about changing a Registered Agent

The state of Hawaii has certain requirements for changing your LLC’s registered agent. Any business entity operating in the state is allowed to change its registered agent by filing a Form X-7: Statement of Change of Registered Agent by Entity either by mail, in person, or online.

The Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA) provides little information on registered agents outside of the forms themselves, but the state’s “Registered Agents Act” sheds a little light on the subject.

Registered Agents Act

Who can be a Hawaii Registered Agent

You can’t pick just anyone to be a registered agent for your LLC. The state of Hawaii puts certain restrictions on who can serve as one. If you’re choosing or changing your registered agent, keep these requirements in mind. The registered agent in Hawaii must:

  • Be an individual Hawaii resident or a business entity located in Hawaii
  • Have a Hawaii street address (P.O. boxes are not allowed)

* If your registered agent is a foreign business entity, it must be authorized to transact business in Hawaii

Special Offer: Right now ZenBusiness is offering a discounted rate for just $99 the first year (normally $199) to act as your agent and handle legal responsibilities.

Get Deal

How to Change Your Hawaii Registered Agent

In order to change your registered agent in Hawaii, you’ll need to file a Form X-7: “Statement of Change of Registered Agent by Entity” with the DCCA. This form is available in paper or online.

If you’re thinking “it might be nice to do this without leaving my desk,” then you’ll want the online route. The DCCA’s Hawai‘i Business Express site allows you to file numerous forms electronically. On the right side of the page, select “Use QuickFile.” From there, you can create an account and file your X-7.

But if you prefer trusty postal mail, that’s an option too. Complete your Form X-7 by using the fillable electronic form or by printing it and filling it out with black ink (the form’s second page has instructions for its completion). Then, mail it to:

Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs

Business Registration Division

P.O. Box 40

Honolulu, Hawaii 96810

Or, if you’re local to Honolulu, you can hand deliver your form to:

335 Merchant Street

Honolulu, Hawaii 96810

You also have the option to fax your form to (808) 586-2733.

No matter how you submit it, you’ll need to include a $25 fee, payable by check (made out to “Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs”) or credit card (for online filers). DCCA processing typically takes five business days, but you can pay an additional $25 for 1-3 day expedited processing.

In some states, LLCs can change their registered agent by amending their Articles of Organization or annual report, but not in Hawaii. You must file an electronic or paper Form X-7.

If you’re too busy, or if you’d feel more comfortable letting someone else take the reins, you have the option of hiring a company or individual to file your paperwork for you. It’s a great way to save time and stress.

Submit your form? Pay your fee? Then you’re all set! You should see your new registered agent on record soon.

Consider a Registered Agent Service

Think of your registered agent as a mediator between you and the state of Hawaii, the person or business entity that handles some of your most important paperwork.

In case you thought the registered agent was just a formality, look at the documents they handle:

  • service of process notices
  • tax information
  • lawsuits
  • and other Secretary of State correspondence.

A lot of important stuff. Which is why a reliable registered agent is essential to every Hawaii business owner.

By handling high-priority and sensitive documents on your behalf, your registered agent takes care of your communications with the state, so you can spend more time building your business.

Plus, if you operate a Hawaii small business from out of state, a trustworthy registered agent is especially important, as the state requires a local contact for your LLC. Having this contact ensures your company will receive and respond to time-sensitive documents, so you won’t miss filings and get hit with penalties.

If you’re unsure where to find a good Hawaii registered agent, consider using a registered agent service. These companies provide you with a reliable, professional registered agent so you can have peace of mind knowing you won’t ever miss a filing, tax deadline, or state correspondence.

Sure, you can jump online, search “registered agent service,” and get a ton of results. But the truth is that not all of these services are trustworthy. So, we’ve done some research for you. If you want to know you’re getting a top-quality registered agent, take a look at our comparison guide on the top registered agent services. Many of these providers can also form an LLC for you if you’re needing a fresh start. ZenBusiness and LegalZoom are two very well known options.

About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Guidelines is owned by ZenBusiness Inc. This site reviews products and services that the ZenBusiness family of sites sells. Readers should be aware of this when evaluating service providers, reading reviews, and making purchase decisions. The content on this page is for informational purposes only, and does not constitute legal, tax, or accounting advice. While uses best efforts to keep all information on its site current, readers should know that it is not responsible for the accuracy of any third party content.