BizFilings vs LegalZoom (Who Wins For You?)
This BizFilings vs LegalZoom comparison is structured so that you have all the information you need to make an informed decision, from the characteristics they share in common to the ways in which they differ.
This will help you make the right choice for your company’s future.
* Note: If you would like to compare the top LLC services, we reviewed and ranked the best based on overall value-price-reliability. See Comparison.
BizFilings and LegalZoom are both entirely reputable and reliable LLC formation service providers, and we wouldn’t hesitate to recommend either one of them. Still, overall BizFilings has some advantages that we think make them the better option for most of our readers.
First off, BizFilings has lower price points, with a $99 baseline cost compared to LegalZoom’s $149 price tag. Furthermore, BizFilings includes six months of registered agent and access to their online compliance management tools, which are features LegalZoom’s LLC service packages lack.
Would you like to know more before making your decision? Read on to discover all the relevant details of these two popular services.
6 Things They Have In Common
1) Affordable: With either BizFilings or LegalZoom forming your LLC, you’ll save hundreds of dollars over hiring a lawyer. Many formations are relatively simple, so an attorney may not be a necessity for you.
2) Customer Support: As opposed to the full DIY route, hiring a provider like LegalZoom or BizFilings gives you access to their customer support networks. If you have a question or concern, simply call or email their service reps to get help, rather than trying to figure out the answers on your own.
3) Strong Guarantees: Both of these companies guarantee their services. With LegalZoom, there’s a 100% satisfaction guarantee which ensures that if you’re unhappy for any reason, they’ll refund the fees you paid them. As for BizFilings, they warranty their services against filing defects for the life of your company.
4) Experience: LegalZoom and BizFilings are highly experienced companies, with thousands upon thousands of clients. These are legitimate operations that are capable of handling most LLC formations.
5) Additional Services: LLC service is just the tip of the iceberg for these providers. Need a registered agent? Require assistance with federal tax ID (EIN) obtainment? No problem. BizFilings and LegalZoom offer these and many other business services.
6) Security: If online security is a priority for you, BizFilings and LegalZoom have your back. Both companies use Norton Web Security to protect their websites from malware, while also encrypting all data transfers.
Side by Side Comparisons
BizFilings easily wins the pricing battle, as they offer LLC formation service starting at $99. On the other hand, LegalZoom charges $149 for their cheapest formation package.
With BizFilings, you receive six months of registered agent and access to their online compliance management tool with any LLC formation package, which LegalZoom doesn’t provide. For their part, LegalZoom includes a banking resolution to help you open business checking and savings accounts, which isn’t included in BizFilings’ base-rate package.
BizFilings is a highly experienced company, with over 500,000 business formations since they opened in 1996. They’re still not on LegalZoom’s level though, as LegalZoom has served over 4 million total customers since 1999, with about half of those being business clients.
BizFilings is rather easy to get ahold of in our experience, as they have phone, email, and web chat options available from 9am to 8pm ET Monday through Friday. Their support agents are courteous and helpful.
We also have plenty of personal experience with LegalZoom, and they’re a bit more of a mixed bag. They’re such a huge company that it’s understandable that not all of their reps are top-notch. While their customer service experience can be a bit hit or miss, there’s no denying that their extended service hours can be a godsend. They’re open from 8am to 10pm ET weekdays and 10am to 7pm ET weekends.
BizFilings has convenient state guides on their website where you can see estimated turnaround times for all 50 states, as well as other relevant state-specific info. LegalZoom operates a bit differently, with turnarounds based on which level of LLC service you choose: Express Gold (7-10 business days), Standard (15), or Economy (30). In short, BizFilings is quicker in some states, while LegalZoom has the edge in others.
LegalZoom has a simple system for tracking. They’ll send you a notification when your order is received, and you can check your order status at any time on their website. BizFilings has a more detailed 7-step status system that tracks your LLC formation from the moment your order is submitted until they ship your completed documents back to you.
Registered Agent Service
With LegalZoom, you’ll pay $159 per year for registered agent, whereas BizFilings has an annual price point of $149. Keep in mind though that BizFilings packages in 6 months of registered agent with any LLC formation service package, while LegalZoom does not. (What is a Registered Agent?)
Customer feedback is not a strength for either of these companies. BizFilings has very few reviews available online ― in fact, we were only able to find three reviews on any third-party review websites. LegalZoom has plenty of reviews to read through (over 1,500 of them), but they’re mixed pretty equally between positive and negative feedback.
For us, this area is a toss-up, because we don’t see any real advantage to either having mixed feedback or none at all.
Ease of Use
For the most part, both of these companies offer easy-to-use services. We will give this advantage to LegalZoom though, because their website is much more modern, and laid out in a convenient user-friendly manner.
Which Should You Use?
Whether you choose BizFilings or LegalZoom, you’ll receive compliant, efficient, and good LLC service. Still, we would understand if you remain undecided, so let’s discuss some situations that might swing your opinion one way or the other.
Choose LegalZoom if You Are:
If you place high value on brand power, LegalZoom has the edge, as well as with experience in general.
Choose BizFilings if You Are:
If you would like registered agent service bundled in with your LLC formation, and lower price points, BizFilings is the option for you.