If you operate an LLC or corporation in North Dakota, you need to designate a registered agent to accept document deliveries from the state. You have a few options regarding who should provide this vital service, our favorite of which is hiring a registered agent service.
These companies will serve as your registered agent in exchange for an annual fee, keeping your business in compliance with state law by receiving documents like service of process, tax documents, reminders when your Annual Report is coming due, and more.
In North Dakota, there are quite a few reputable companies offering registered agent service, which can make it difficult to determine which company is your best choice. That’s why we took a deep dive into all of your options to create this list of the best North Dakota registered agent services. Which one should you use?
At ZenBusiness, we pride ourselves on providing convenient, easy-to-leverage business services that leave you more time to actually run your business. When it comes to ongoing registered agent service, ZenBusiness has a great $99 rate for the first year and a competitive $199 rate for subsequent years.
If you haven’t yet formed your LLC or corporation, we offer an outstanding bargain. We will form your new business for free — all you have to do is cover the required state filing fee.
Let’s take a look at some of our advantages and disadvantages compared to our top competitors.
- Low $99 price point for the first year
- Great customer feedback
- Strong customer service
- Gives back to socially disadvantaged entrepreneurs
- Not the absolute cheapest option available
There are more than 10,000 reviews of ZenBusiness online, and nearly all of them are positive, giving us one of the best customer satisfaction reputations in the industry. We also have a helpful and knowledgeable customer support department that can answer your tough questions.
Next up is Northwest Registered Agent, a company that offers personalized customer support. Northwest no longer provides free mail forwarding service with its registered agent offering, which used to be a cornerstone of its service. However, it still has plenty of advantages.
How does Northwest Registered Agent stack up to the competition?
- Personalized customer support
- Volume discounts available
- Free registered agent service with business formation
- Expensive business formation service
- Not many other services offered
Northwest Registered Agent’s calling card is its personalized customer support. Instead of outsourcing its support network to a generic call center with questionably trained representatives, Northwest keeps its support team in-house. Everyone who answers the phone for Northwest is a professional who knows their stuff.
Northwest offers a year of registered agent service in North Dakota with any business formation service purchase. However, at $225, the price point for this package is higher than most competitors.
We appreciate Northwest’s volume discounts for registered agent service, as they’ll slash your rate from $125 to $100 annually if you require service in at least five states. In addition, they receive strong customer reviews and offer free ongoing compliance reminders.
Overall, if you prioritize personalized customer support, Northwest’s advantages likely outweigh its disadvantages.
Like ZenBusiness, Incfile offers a free business formation service. With Incfile, this includes a year of registered agent service as well. As a standalone service, Incfile provides registered agent service at an annual rate of $119, which is a solidly competitive price point.
- Free business formation service with registered agent service
- Good customer feedback
- Lots of upsells
With more than 30,000 reviews available online, Incfile maintains high average rating scores, making them an impressive pick for registered agent service in North Dakota.
However, one drawback of using Incfile is how they can be rather relentless with upsell attempts. Incfile has plenty of add-on features available, and it will certainly remind you of that fact several times as you work your way through their order form.
Overall, Incfile is a rock-solid option for registered agent service, albeit without some of the bells and whistles you’ll find with some competitors.
Rocket Lawyer is one of the industry’s biggest names, with millions of customers served and a robust advertising budget that gets its name out. Rocket Lawyer’s pricing is a bit high, but if you’re looking for an experienced option, look no further.
- Tons of experience
- Solid customer satisfaction reputation
- Strong customer support
- Somewhat high price points
- Very few features
Rocket Lawyer has a few thousand reviews available, with mostly positive scores. While its registered agent pricing doesn’t jump off the page, subscribers to Rocket Lawyer’s $39.99/month legal services program receive 25% off registered agent service, free business formation service for new members, and more.
We are always impressed with Rocket Lawyer’s support network, as its representatives are responsive and helpful. Rocket Lawyer offers extended support availability from 9 am to 9 pm every weekday. If you’re willing to spend a bit more in exchange for a company with tons of experience, or if you’re interested in Rocket Lawyer’s legal services subscription, give them a look.
LegalZoom is similar to Rocket Lawyer in that it’s a company with millions of customers served and offers advanced legal services. However, LegalZoom has an unfortunately high price point for North Dakota registered agent service. You can get your first year for $249 if you add it to a business formation package, but even that isn’t a great deal.
- Millions of customers served
- Industry’s longest support hours
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- High prices
- Few features in formation packages
We are impressed by LegalZoom’s 100% satisfaction guarantee, which is nearly identical to the ZenBusiness refund policy. Also, they have the longest customer support hours in this industry, with 14 hours per day of weekday availability and nine hours on weekends too.
That said, LegalZoom’s high price tag for registered agent service is a problem. Seeing as this company also excludes valuable features from its business formation packages, the other options in this guide all have better value propositions than LegalZoom.
An Overview of North Dakota Registered Agent Services
Before we dig too deeply into any of these companies, we will also share a quick overview of the best options. After all, we know how busy you are, and you might just want to identify the best company and move on.
At ZenBusiness, we have a highly affordable offer that appeals to a wide variety of entrepreneurs. For just $99 for the first year ($199 after that), ZenBusiness will serve as your registered agent in North Dakota, providing reliable service at a fair price. ZenBusiness has thousands of positive reviews, we’re a socially conscious company, and we offer solid customer support. What’s not to like?
However, it’s not all about ZenBusiness. Some of our competitors also have intriguing offers for North Dakota registered agent service, including Northwest Registered Agent and Incfile. Is one of them a better fit for your business? Or is hiring ZenBusiness the right call? Read on to find out!
What Does North Dakota Law Say About Registered Agents?
Each state has its own rules and regulations surrounding registered agents. For the most part, these laws are fairly similar, but it’s always worth taking a look to see what North Dakota requires.
In North Dakota, we’ll need to take a look at The North Dakota Model Registered Agents Act, which says:
- Every entity that files with the Secretary of State (both domestic and foreign) must appoint a commercial or noncommercial registered agent
- If using a noncommercial registered agent, the agent may be an individual resident of the state or a business with the authority to operate in the state
- An agent of either type must be continuously maintained
All of the companies we’re about to discuss meet these regulations and are great options for North Dakota registered agent service. When you’ve made your choice, you can indicate your registered agent’s name and address on your Articles of Organization. It will be very clear where to indicate that information within the online form when you first register.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can serve as a registered agent in North Dakota?
In North Dakota, there aren’t many complicated requirements for registered agent eligibility. Any individual or business entity located within the state can serve as your company’s registered agent. The only requirements are that they have a permanent address in North Dakota and that your company itself can not serve as its own registered agent (although you or one of your co-owners may assume this role individually).
North Dakota is a bit unique because it maintains a system of commercial and noncommercial registered agents. Let’s be completely clear: both types accomplish the exact same task, and either type will fulfill the state’s statutory requirement for your business. Commercial registered agents are simply those individuals or businesses that register with the state to be included in the database of local agents. Essentially, commercial registered agents offer their services to the public for a fee. Meanwhile, noncommercial agents are privately appointed by the entity they serve. Either agent type is perfectly acceptable, but you should carefully consider which is right for your business.
Must my registered agent be located in North Dakota?
Yes. If your registered agent is an individual, that person must live in North Dakota. If your agent is a business entity, that company must either be a domestic North Dakota business or one with the authority to conduct business in the state.
How can I change my registered agent in North Dakota?
North Dakota keeps the process of changing your registered agent pretty simple. All you really have to do is download the Commercial or Noncommercial Registered Agent/Office Statement of Change form, fill it out, and submit it to the Secretary of State along with the $10 filing fee. For more information on how to change your registered agent in North Dakota, look here.
How does the North Dakota registered agent resignation process work?
If your registered agent chooses to resign and no longer serves as your agent, they will notify you and the Secretary of State by filing the Commercial or Noncommercial Registered Agent Resignation form (which has no filing fee). As soon as your agent notifies you that they’re resigning, it’s your responsibility to replace them, so there isn’t a lapse in your registered agent coverage.
How much does it cost to change my North Dakota registered agent?
As long as you file compliantly and don’t allow your registered agent coverage to lapse, then you won’t incur any additional penalties or fees, keeping your filing fee at just $10 when you need to change your agent.
What are my options if I don’t want to hire a North Dakota registered agent service?
One common option is to serve as your company’s own registered agent or enlist the assistance of a trusted friend or family member. The other route is to hire an attorney or accountant to handle this role. Maybe you prefer the added professionalism these people can provide, maybe you have an existing relationship with an attorney or accountant you trust, etc.
If you’re interested in hiring an attorney but don’t know where to start, we recommend taking a look on Avvo. We also dug through the top-rated lawyers on Avvo to create our own list of the top three business attorneys you could contact regarding registered agent service:
Best Registered Agent Services Reviewed in all States
We break down the best registered agent services in every state. View all of our guides below.
- Best Alabama Registered Agent Services
- Best Alaska Registered Agent Services
- Best Arizona Statutory Agent Services
- Best Arkansas Registered Agent Services
- Best California Registered Agent Services
- Best Colorado Registered Agent Services
- Best Connecticut Registered Agent Services
- Best Delaware Registered Agent Services
- Best Florida Registered Agent Services
- Best Georgia Registered Agent Services
- Best Hawaii Registered Agent Services
- Best Idaho Registered Agent Services
- Best Illinois Registered Agent Services
- Best Indiana Registered Agent Services
- Best Iowa Registered Agent Services
- Best Kansas Resident Agent Services
- Best Kentucky Registered Agent Services
- Best Louisiana Registered Agent Services
- Best Maine Registered Agent Services
- Best Maryland Resident Agent Services
- Best Massachusetts Registered Agent Services
- Best Michigan Resident Agent Services
- Best Minnesota Registered Agent Services
- Best Mississippi Registered Agent Services
- Best Missouri Registered Agent Services
- Best Montana Registered Agent Services
- Best Nebraska Registered Agent Services
- Best Nevada Registered Agent Services
- Best New Hampshire Registered Agent Services
- Best New Jersey Registered Agent Services
- Best New Mexico Registered Agent Services
- Best New York Registered Agent Services
- Best North Carolina Registered Agent Services
- Best Ohio Statutory Agent Services
- Best Oklahoma Registered Agent Services
- Best Oregon Registered Agent Services
- Best Pennsylvania Registered Agent Services
- Best Rhode Island Registered Agent Services
- Best South Carolina Registered Agent Services
- Best South Dakota Registered Agent Services
- Best Tennessee Registered Agent Services
- Best Texas Registered Agent Services
- Best Utah Registered Agent Services
- Best Vermont Registered Agent Services
- Best Virginia Registered Agent Services
- Best Washington D.C. Registered Agent Services
- Best Washington Registered Agent Services
- Best West Virginia Registered Agent Services
- Best Wisconsin Registered Agent Services
- Best Wyoming Registered Agent Services