If you operate an LLC or corporation in Colorado, you need to designate a registered agent to accept document deliveries from the state. You have a few options regarding who should provide this vital service, our favorite of which is hiring a registered agent service.
These companies will serve as your registered agent in exchange for an annual fee, keeping your business in compliance with state law by receiving documents like service of process, tax documents, reminders when your Periodic Report is coming due, and more.
In Colorado, there are quite a few reputable companies offering registered agent service, which can make it difficult to determine which company is your best choice. That’s why we took a deep dive into all of your options to create this list of the best Colorado registered agent services. Which one should you use?
At ZenBusiness, we pride ourselves on providing convenient, easy-to-leverage business services that leave you more time to actually run your business. When it comes to ongoing registered agent service, ZenBusiness has a great $99 rate for the first year and a competitive $199 rate for subsequent years.
If you haven’t yet formed your LLC or corporation, we offer an outstanding bargain. We will form your new business for free — all you have to do is cover the required state filing fee.
Let’s take a look at some of our advantages and disadvantages compared to our top competitors.
- Low $99 price point for the first year
- Great customer feedback
- Strong customer service
- Gives back to socially disadvantaged entrepreneurs
- Not the absolute cheapest option available
There are more than 10,000 reviews of ZenBusiness online, and nearly all of them are positive, giving us one of the best customer satisfaction reputations in the industry. We also have a helpful and knowledgeable customer support department that can answer your tough questions.
Next up is Northwest Registered Agent, a company that offers personalized customer support. Northwest no longer provides free mail forwarding service with its registered agent offering, which used to be a cornerstone of its service. However, it still has plenty of advantages.
How does Northwest Registered Agent stack up to the competition?
- Personalized customer support
- Volume discounts available
- Free registered agent service with business formation
- Expensive business formation service
- Not many other services offered
Northwest Registered Agent’s calling card is its personalized customer support. Instead of outsourcing its support network to a generic call center with questionably trained representatives, Northwest keeps its support team in-house. Everyone who answers the phone for Northwest is a professional who knows their stuff.
Northwest offers a year of registered agent service in Colorado with any business formation service purchase. However, at $225, the price point for this package is higher than most competitors.
We appreciate Northwest’s volume discounts for registered agent service, as they’ll slash your rate from $125 to $100 annually if you require service in at least five states. In addition, they receive strong customer reviews and offer free Statement of Information reminders.
Overall, if you prioritize personalized customer support, Northwest’s advantages likely outweigh its disadvantages.
Like ZenBusiness, Incfile offers a free business formation service. With Incfile, this includes a year of registered agent service as well. As a standalone service, Incfile provides registered agent service at an annual rate of $119, which is a solidly competitive price point.
- Free business formation service with registered agent service
- Good customer feedback
- Lots of upsells
With more than 30,000 reviews available online, Incfile maintains high average rating scores, making them an impressive pick for registered agent service in Colorado.
However, one drawback of using Incfile is how they can be rather relentless with upsell attempts. Incfile has plenty of add-on features available, and it will certainly remind you of that fact several times as you work your way through their order form.
Overall, Incfile is a rock-solid option for registered agent service, albeit without some of the bells and whistles you’ll find with some competitors.
Rocket Lawyer is one of the industry’s biggest names, with millions of customers served and a robust advertising budget that gets its name out. Rocket Lawyer’s pricing is a bit high, but if you’re looking for an experienced option, look no further.
- Tons of experience
- Solid customer satisfaction reputation
- Strong customer support
- Somewhat high price points
- Very few features
Rocket Lawyer has a few thousand reviews available, with mostly positive scores. While its registered agent pricing doesn’t jump off the page, subscribers to Rocket Lawyer’s $39.99/month legal services program receive 25% off registered agent service, free business formation service for new members, and more.
We are always impressed with Rocket Lawyer’s support network, as its representatives are responsive and helpful. Rocket Lawyer offers extended support availability from 9 am to 9 pm every weekday. If you’re willing to spend a bit more in exchange for a company with tons of experience, or if you’re interested in Rocket Lawyer’s legal services subscription, give them a look.
LegalZoom is similar to Rocket Lawyer in that it’s a company with millions of customers served and offers advanced legal services. However, LegalZoom has an unfortunately high price point for Colorado registered agent service. You can get your first year for $249 if you add it to a business formation package, but even that isn’t a great deal.
- Millions of customers served
- Industry’s longest support hours
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- High prices
- Few features in formation packages
We are impressed by LegalZoom’s 100% satisfaction guarantee, which is nearly identical to the ZenBusiness refund policy. Also, they have the longest customer support hours in this industry, with 14 hours per day of weekday availability and nine hours on weekends too.
That said, LegalZoom’s high price tag for registered agent service is a problem. Seeing as this company also excludes valuable features from its business formation packages, the other options in this guide all have better value propositions than LegalZoom.
An Overview of Colorado Registered Agent Services
Before we dig too deeply into any of these companies, we will also share a quick overview of the best options. After all, we know how busy you are, and you might just want to identify the best company and move on.
At ZenBusiness, we have a highly affordable offer that appeals to a wide variety of entrepreneurs. For just $99 for the first year ($199 after that), ZenBusiness will serve as your registered agent in Colorado, providing reliable service at a fair price. ZenBusiness has thousands of positive reviews, we’re a socially conscious company, and we offer solid customer support. What’s not to like?
However, it’s not all about ZenBusiness. Some of our competitors also have intriguing offers for Colorado registered agent service, including Northwest Registered Agent and Incfile. Is one of them a better fit for your business? Or is hiring ZenBusiness the right call? Read on to find out!
What Does Colorado Law Say About Registered Agents?
Each state has its own rules and regulations surrounding registered agents. For the most part, these laws are fairly similar, but it’s always worth taking a look to see what Colorado requires.
In Colorado, we’ll need to take a look at The Colorado Revised Statutes, which say:
- Every entity that has documents on file with the Secretary of State must appoint a registered agent
- The agent may be an individual resident of the state who is 18 years of age or older OR a business with authority to do business in the state
- An entity may serve as its own agent provided it maintains a “usual place of business”
- The registered agent must be continuously maintained
All of the companies we’re about to discuss meet these regulations and are great options for Colorado registered agent service. When you’ve made your choice, you can indicate your registered agent’s name and address on your Articles of Organization.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can serve as a registered agent in Colorado?
In Colorado, there aren’t many complicated requirements for registered agent eligibility. Any individual or business entity located within the state can serve as your company’s registered agent. The only requirements are that they have a permanent address in Colorado and that your company itself can not serve as its own registered agent (although you or one of your co-owners may assume this role individually).
Colorado is a bit unique with its specific rules for registered agents. For starters, Colorado explicitly requires an individual resident agent to be 18 years old or older. Most states don’t specify the age requirement. In addition, Colorado allows entities with a traditional “brick and mortar” location (specifically referred to as a “usual place of business” in state law) to serve as their own registered agent if they wish. We generally recommend appointing a third party to this responsibility just to simplify things for you as the business owner, but ultimately, it’s up to you. The most important issue is that you appoint a person or business that you trust to fulfill this role.
Must my registered agent be located in Colorado?
Yes. If your registered agent is an individual, that person must live in Colorado. If your agent is a business entity, that company must either be a domestic Colorado business or one with the authority to conduct business in the state.
How can I change my registered agent in Colorado?
Colorado keeps the process of changing your registered agent pretty simple. All you have to do is search for your record on the Secretary of State’s website and file the Statement of Change Changing the Registered Agent Information form. There is a $10 filing fee. For more information on how to change your registered agent in Colorado, look here.
How does the Colorado registered agent resignation process work?
If your registered agent chooses to resign and no longer serves as your agent, they will notify both you and the Secretary of State using a Statement of Change Regarding Resignation or Other Termination of Registered Agent form (found here). This form requires information about the registered agent themselves, the entity they served, and so on. There is a $10 fee for this resignation.
How much does it cost to change my Colorado registered agent?
Regardless of whether you choose to dismiss a registered agent and appoint a new one or your agent resigns and you select a replacement, the cost to file is always just $10. This keeps the process as simple as possible.
What are my options if I don’t want to hire a Colorado registered agent service?
One common option is to serve as your company’s own registered agent or enlist the assistance of a trusted friend or family member. The other route is to hire an attorney or accountant to handle this role. Maybe you prefer the added professionalism these people can provide, maybe you have an existing relationship with an attorney or accountant you trust, etc.
If you’re interested in hiring an attorney but don’t know where to start, we recommend taking a look on Avvo. We also dug through the top-rated lawyers on Avvo to create our own list of the top five business attorneys you could contact regarding registered agent service:
Best Registered Agent Services Reviewed in all States
We break down the best registered agent services in every state. View all of our guides below.
- Best Alabama Registered Agent Services
- Best Alaska Registered Agent Services
- Best Arizona Statutory Agent Services
- Best Arkansas Registered Agent Services
- Best California Registered Agent Services
- Best Connecticut Registered Agent Services
- Best Delaware Registered Agent Services
- Best Florida Registered Agent Services
- Best Georgia Registered Agent Services
- Best Hawaii Registered Agent Services
- Best Idaho Registered Agent Services
- Best Illinois Registered Agent Services
- Best Indiana Registered Agent Services
- Best Iowa Registered Agent Services
- Best Kansas Resident Agent Services
- Best Kentucky Registered Agent Services
- Best Louisiana Registered Agent Services
- Best Maine Registered Agent Services
- Best Maryland Resident Agent Services
- Best Massachusetts Registered Agent Services
- Best Michigan Resident Agent Services
- Best Minnesota Registered Agent Services
- Best Mississippi Registered Agent Services
- Best Missouri Registered Agent Services
- Best Montana Registered Agent Services
- Best Nebraska Registered Agent Services
- Best Nevada Registered Agent Services
- Best New Hampshire Registered Agent Services
- Best New Jersey Registered Agent Services
- Best New Mexico Registered Agent Services
- Best New York Registered Agent Services
- Best North Carolina Registered Agent Services
- Best North Dakota Registered Agent Services
- Best Ohio Statutory Agent Services
- Best Oklahoma Registered Agent Services
- Best Oregon Registered Agent Services
- Best Pennsylvania Registered Agent Services
- Best Rhode Island Registered Agent Services
- Best South Carolina Registered Agent Services
- Best South Dakota Registered Agent Services
- Best Tennessee Registered Agent Services
- Best Texas Registered Agent Services
- Best Utah Registered Agent Services
- Best Vermont Registered Agent Services
- Best Virginia Registered Agent Services
- Best Washington D.C. Registered Agent Services
- Best Washington Registered Agent Services
- Best West Virginia Registered Agent Services
- Best Wisconsin Registered Agent Services
- Best Wyoming Registered Agent Services